Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Stuck Nut on Tap Valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I am a complete novice but am trying to repair a dripping tap using online instructons on replacing the valve. My kitchen mixer tap is dripping. I don't know whether it is the hot or the cold valve as I haven't managed to find a way to turn off just the hot water so have turned off the whole house water supply at the stopcock with a view to trying to replace the cartridges one by one. But... I can't get either valve out, both appear corroded/heavily calcified and completely stuck and the stupid design means they sit in recessed casings so I can't get a spanner round the nuts properly. I sprayed some WD40 in but that hasn't helped. I thought of trying to get a socket and ratchet set and see if I can turn them like that -- is that a good idea or are there better tools/strategies?

The top of the hot water valve was sitting in water and more corroded whereas the top of the cold water valve is more calcified and dry -- does that mean the drip is more likely to come from the hot water tap?

Any advice gratefully received!

With water turned off fit isolation valves to the pipes to the tap, one it might help you find which side is leaking and two it takes all the pressure off you to do the job quickly.
From what you have said I think I would be looking at fitting a new tap.

Reply to Stuck Nut on Tap Valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Bristan Manhattan mixer tap in the kitchen. Five years ago, it started to drip. I replaced the valve in the cold water side and the...
Replies
Views
I needed to replace the braided water pipe for the hot tap as I was putting everything back together; I placed the female end into the copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, I can’t get one cartridge to budge when trying to replace in a mixer tap. The hot side cartridge was tight but removed with wrench...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock