Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Solar Heating with Combi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hughie999

I have a combi boiler installed in my new house. Is it possible to install solar heating panels with this system - if it is what do I need to do?

You could if you installed a hot water cylinder with a twin coil but this would largely defeat the point of having a combi-boiler in the first place in my honest opinion. Solar heating is still not a good purchase in terms of payback at present and personally if you have the money to spend on one of these I would put it towards solar PV instead which offers a fairly quick payback (around 10 years).

You can use it to pre heat your boilers hot water but manufacturers aren't keen.

Hi Kieran,

Thanks - reckon that's good advice re PV alternative.

You could if you installed a hot water cylinder with a twin coil but this would largely defeat the point of having a combi-boiler in the first place in my honest opinion. Solar heating is still not a good purchase in terms of payback at present and personally if you have the money to spend on one of these I would put it towards solar PV instead which offers a fairly quick payback (around 10 years).

I have fitted a few Grant CombiSOL valves, you install a solar unvented cylinder and the valve mixes or diverts the hot water to the combi or straight to the taps if hot enough, more info here [DLMURL="http://www.grantuk.com/products/solar-thermal/solar-thermal-solutions/"]Solar Thermal Solutions | Grant UK[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
It can certainly be done as ecowarm says. Put it this way, my business will be paying for a solar PV installation when we move to our next house and will be keeping the income from it as an investment. When you do the maths it's still the best earner by far with the shortest payback on the market just now. Sorry to go off topic but if you have the roof for it fill it with solar PV cells, not solar thermal cells.

Payback on most PV systems is around 10 years. I thought the payback on solar thermal was around 18, correct me if I'm wrong. All of that may change next April though if the government starts offering feed-in tariffs for thermal though.

Lot's of combis are solar compatible but you will need a mixer valve to maintain a set temperature going into the boiler a store if often the way to go which store preheated hot water prior to it entering the combi via the mixing valve so you present your combi with premixed water say at 30 degrees the combi does the rest. If you happen to have an Alpha boiler they have a sepecific kit for their boilers. You should speak to the boiler manufacturer and go with their recommendation.

It can certainly be done as ecowarm says. Put it this way, my business will be paying for a solar PV installation when we move to our next house and will be keeping the income from it as an investment. When you do the maths it's still the best earner by far with the shortest payback on the market just now. Sorry to go off topic but if you have the roof for it fill it with solar PV cells, not solar thermal cells.

Payback on most PV systems is around 10 years. I thought the payback on solar thermal was around 18, correct me if I'm wrong. All of that may change next April though if the government starts offering feed-in tariffs for thermal though.

You can't say categorically what the payback on solar is. It depends on a number of factors. I am in scotland an will only fit evacuated tubes and wouldn't fit for a house unless there are 4 users of hot water. I also crank up the boiler stat on the solar to 80 deg and fit a tmv on the outlet and generally only do it on unvented, and set the time controls on the boiler accordingly. The sizing of the cylinder is vital and all these thing maximise solar gain thus reducing the payback period. A family of 4 with two bathrooms on a 250l unvented solar with evacuated tubes in the right position could get the payback within 5-8 years easily. When you go to house and find flat plates with an old couple living there then you are looking at 13 years.

You can't say categorically what the payback on solar is. It depends on a number of factors. I am in scotland an will only fit evacuated tubes and wouldn't fit for a house unless there are 4 users of hot water. I also crank up the boiler stat on the solar to 80 deg and fit a tmv on the outlet and generally only do it on unvented, and set the time controls on the boiler accordingly. The sizing of the cylinder is vital and all these thing maximise solar gain thus reducing the payback period. A family of 4 with two bathrooms on a 250l unvented solar with evacuated tubes in the right position could get the payback within 5-8 years easily. When you go to house and find flat plates with an old couple living there then you are looking at 13 years.

if you crank up the stat on the solar to 80, what temp does the cut out stat work at? and does your cut out stat close a solar rated motorised valve?

the reason i ask is last year i refused to commission some unvented cylinders that had a solar heat source because i believed the solar controls did not meet G3 regulations because it did not have 3 levels of thermo control, with one being a manual resetting cut out.

Lot's of combis are solar compatible but you will need a mixer valve to maintain a set temperature going into the boiler a store if often the way to go which store preheated hot water prior to it entering the combi via the mixing valve so you present your combi with premixed water say at 30 degrees the combi does the rest. If you happen to have an Alpha boiler they have a sepecific kit for their boilers. You should speak to the boiler manufacturer and go with their recommendation.

Alpha solar smart is a combi system, you can use it on any combi as long as that combi has the ability to measure the cold inlet temp and adjust to suit. Atleast i think thats right, i did the course about 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Solar Heating with Combi Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock