Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Soil smell coming from underfloor only when wind blows in certain direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom-smith

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. I have a 1930's house and in the waste man hole I have two redundant pipes that look like they go somewhere underneath my house. When the wind blows in a certain direction a smell comes from under the floor. It probably happens once every two weeks. Could these pipes be the cause of the smell? If it is or not, should I block these pipes up anyway and start working out a process of elimination? Should I put cameras up the pipes? Can I temporarily block them? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank Tom

Hi Tom
If you are sure that these 2 drain lines do not serve anything then you could block them using one of these to see if the smells stop.

The plugs are the cheapest but can be a bit awkward to get them up a line in a manhole.
pressed-steel-heavy-duty-drain-plug-4-65001230-942-p.jpg

The bags are easer to get in then you pump them up to seal but the are expensive.
images-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Redundant pipes should be sealed with concrete to deter vermin. Try rodding to determine length, direction and where they might have originally surfaced. As above use stopper for temporary seal to ensure pipe not in use .Expanding stopper to pipe size, lubricating and pushing into position is sometimes easier than expanding stopper insitu. Tie cord to stopper to prevent it disappearing downstream should it become loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil smell coming from underfloor only when wind blows in certain direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock