Currently reading:
sleeving flue on boilers!!!

Discuss sleeving flue on boilers!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

just been on a course today ready for my ACS exams in a few weeks.

tutor said and showed me in a magazine that it is now a requirement that you now have to sleave the flue on a boiler to make it easier to remove and also something to do with the metal of the flue expanding when hot, thus could cause problems to the skin of the biuilding

as anyone elese heard of this?? This is defo true as i read it first hand but what i want to know is what the hell would you use to line the flue??

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with gasman,you can only put in condensing boilers and flues run at such lower temps being in plastic,so i can't personally see what risk there is, movement in walls??

sounds like a money spinner to me, gas safe have to be seen to be doing something and guess this is it, i guess that they have cottoned on that pipes through walls need to be sleeved so why not flues.

It is all a load of bullocks as far as domestic boiler flues go. It is not required. On timber framed there has always been a need to sleeve or construct the wall to suit with an appropriate lining and dwangs. Most balanced flued fires and conventional flues (twin wall) do need to be sleeved for reasons previously stated.

I think it is a good idea to start sleeving flues through walls,even forgetting about protection,last month replaced four potterton pumas,all had the sleeve fitted that they came with,even though a brick wall, it was so easy to replace and a lot less mess,with boilers now being replaced every 8 to 10 years,makes sense to me
makes it easier to thread the new flue through the wall from the inside if at high level,as most flues now have a larger plastic end terminal
Also with flue quality becoming so bad,with thin metal outers,good idea to have them protected with a sleeve also allows easier inspection on flue walls,however would add,think the manufacturers should be hit with new guild lines to make better quality flues,with better enamel outer protection,even when you are fitted them now ,you have to be really careful you do not scratch the visible outer section of the flue above the boiler when threading through wall,has customer soon winging :(

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is a good idea to start sleeving flues through walls,even forgetting about protection,last month replaced four potterton pumas,all had the sleeve fitted that they came with,even though a brick wall, it was so easy to replace and a lot less mess,with boilers now being replaced every 8 to 10 years,makes sense to me
makes it easier to thread the new flue through the wall from the inside if at high level,as most flues now have a larger plastic end terminal
Also with flue quality becoming so bad,with thin metal outers,good idea to have them protected with a sleeve also allows easier inspection on flue walls,however would add,think the manufacturers should be hit with new guild lines to make better quality flues,with better enamel outer protection,even when you are fitted them now ,you have to be really careful you do not scratch the visible outer section of the flue above the boiler when threading through wall,has customer soon winging :(

imho

i agree whole heartedly with what your saying puddle and from a maintenance point of view its great if you are changing a expansion vessel to be able to whip the flue out but and this is my point what could we readily buy to sleeve them with? 5 inch liners about the only thing i can think of being metal

As puddle said the old Pottertons came with a sleeve and a fibre rope seal. The sleeve was around 5" (not sure as no core drill then, cut with a hammer and chisel). The idea is good but as few boiler flues match up with other brands it would need changing anyway. I do 2 -3 boiler swaps a week and i could probably count on my fingers the number of flues that could use the existing hole without trimming the hole.

I agree with the quality of the enameled outer flues. Came across a few condensers where the outer flue is rusting from inside out after a couple of years due to rain water running back the flue. Maybe they should make them all plastic (some are).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to sleeving flue on boilers!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back