Search the forum,

Discuss size of heat dump ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLOD

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Does anyone have a formula for calculating the size of heat dump rad (rads?) that might be needed on a solar hot water system ?

thanks

Thanks for the reply markfxy,
I'd like to oversize my collectors a bit to get more solar gain in the winter months, hence the need for a heat dump.
I asked the question because I can't decide wether to wire the boiler via a relay and use the ch/hw system & pump as the dump, or to make up a dump circuit using old rads.

have you thought about using a drainback system you can oversize as much as you want without worrying about stagnation

I'd like to use evacuated tubes to help with the solar gain in the winter, and didn't think these worked too well with drainback systems although I could be wrong ?
I'm still thinking that oversizing, along with a decent heat dump could work well.

Hi BLOD,

You're right, drainback's not an option with evacuated tubes, so pressurised only. You can either use a high temp glycol such has Tyfocor LS. This is better at handling higher stagnation temperatures and won't sludge up or degrade as easily.

Also, activate the recooling/holiday option on your controller during Spring/Summer months to minimise stagnation.

Also, when filling the system, consider pressurising a bit higher as this will raise the boiling point. Remember to adjust the expansion vessel precharge accordingly and note the 6 bar rating on your PRV! All this depends on the manufacturers recommendations of course.

Back to the radiator size, you could stick the biggest double in you can fit (in loft maybe?) and divert with something like a Resol VA300 valve.

Cheers,

Matt

Evacuated Tube Heatpipe , they dont stagnate as they are self limiting. Its what I spec all the time

Evacuated tubes are fine for drainbacks we've never had a problem but the thermal shock can be can be a bit noisy. Its best to keep it simple a diverter valve is just something else that can and will go wrong and as glycol is so expensive any savings through the use of thermal will be wiped out if you have to change it.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Have any of you come across a non electrical temperature activated mid pos valve before?
I saw one a few years ago but didn't make a note of who made it.
cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to size of heat dump ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock