Search the forum,

Discuss Sink Problem Please Help :/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ray0

Hey all

New here so thanks for letting me register and ask my silly novice questions :)

Ok so to briefly explain what happened first. Sink plug got stuck i used a small butter knife to delatch it (pop up/using turn knob) as the turn handle wouldnt put enough pressure. got the plug out and then though lets take the basket thingy out to clean under it.

heres where the problem lies.

as i undone the Screw/threaded nut that holds/pulls together the under part of the trap and the top baskety thing the screw/threaded bolt snapped

ive been all over cardiff to my local wickes/b&q and even pbs pluming supplies aswell as my local toolbox and none seems to have the foggiest.

what im after is the names of the items. any option to fix the problem. or if its unfixable any other parts that will simply replace pref with the turn pop up still in use

also im on a small budget *eeek*

ive linked to some photos of the items (hope this is allowed)

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0560.jpg

Welcome to the forums Rayo check out the Macalpine traps and wastes website they will have what you need...regards Turnpin:27:

Plumbers mechano kit for waste systems. What was wrong wit an ordinary waste with plug and chain?

Unless you know a plumber who has a few spares or second hand parts lying about, then you might get lucky if you buy a new cheap waste fitting that has similar large bolt. Take the broken bolt with you to compare size & threads. It looks very standard.

Generally speaking those central bushes are standard, but I haven't seen them sold separately.

If you are really on a tight budget, go to a scrappie or the tip and get one out of a junked sink.

Think you could buy a cheap waste fitting from Toolstation.

Some waste fittings come with 2 bolts - one larger bolt for thicker baths/sinks.
I don't throw the spare bolt away & keep it for the day I might need it, but probably couldn't find them in a hurry!
Maybe a plumber would have one spare.

Ray0
I will look in my waste fittings and spares tub(I keep little things like this....just in case).
If I have one I can send you it.

What goes around comes around! Although I do draw the line at sending PTFE to Supperplumb!

helpsy Thanks ever so much ill let you know if i am still knocking on wood by the end of play tomorrow.

im going to pop to the nearest toolstation and see if theres anything there.

snowhead thanks for the link give me an idea of what to search for now lol :)

one last question is there any ley-way on the size of bolt?

as in if its to long i can just cut him down with a haxsaw?

ive measured some of the remains (other half is currently holding the sink together with a washer as the new bolt head ) and got these measurements i dont think a tape measure (or me most prob lol) is quiet as accurate as the device in snowheads picture but ive got:

15mm on top of bolt head
the inner hole is 10mm ruff
thread is ruffly 13mm

could snowheads link actually be the right size? i know the top of the bolt is the same but description says 8mm inner hole this thing infront of me is slightly over that at the top end of my snapped bolt.

Thanks ever so much for all the replys/help its really appreciated :)

helpsy, what happened to supperplumb? havent seen his comments aroud for a while!

as i undone the Screw/threaded nut that holds/pulls together the under part of the trap and the top baskety thing the screw/threaded bolt snapped

Are you Stanley Unwin by chance. ( for the over 40's)

Ray0 let me know if you require the bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sink Problem Please Help :/ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock