Discuss Single pipe system blocked ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

single pipe system pipework blocked ? System is 7 rad single pipe in a bungalow fed by Worcester combi boiler. After many years of being hottest house on earth rads are struggling. Service engs [ same ones for many years] have changed pump , cleaned with sentinel 800 [ though i don't believe it was carried out correctly with regard to correct flushing / draining ] They believe the pipework is fouled and have recommended a full system pwk change to a 2 pipe system , obviously at considerable cost. The system is in my mother's house but I've spent some time there and carried out following trials.........Left system running with a single rad on line for 30 mins , repeated for each rad in the house. Every rad heated up fully. To me this means there is some sort of route thru all the system pipework. The engineers have agreed to carry out a further wash at reduced cost but following job method that I have supplied them from both Sentinel and Fernox , may use a fernox product this time.............Any thoughts ?

if you have altered the lock shields then you have to re balance the whole system,
water goes the fastest way it can, so it will pass the rads return to the boiler, then your rads don t get hot,
you need some one who knows the job.

To flush that they would need to take the rads out one at a time and clean them outside with a hose or similar method in my opinion.
I obviously cannot say for certain as I haven't seen the job but an engineer on site should be able to tell if the pipework is blocked without guessing.

if you have altered the lock shields then you have to re balance the whole system,
water goes the fastest way it can, so it will pass the rads return to the boiler, then your rads don t get hot,
you need some one who knows the job.
I've looked into balancing issues and initially ruled it out as no individual rad is getting excessively hot , 6/7 rads have TRV'S fitted and 3 rads are turned fully off all the time so even though I'm not sure of order of flow I would be surprised if this was the issue.

To flush that they would need to take the rads out one at a time and clean them outside with a hose or similar method in my opinion.
I obviously cannot say for certain as I haven't seen the job but an engineer on site should be able to tell if the pipework is blocked without guessing.
rads don't seem an issue as fully heating up when lined up individually.

Look up one pipe systems the normal pipe up is top bottom and trv’s should Be full flow
thanks for your help , will have a chat with engineer when he comes but i'm unaware of any changes made since system was working perfectly so can only assume design and hardware are not an issue.

Reply to Single pipe system blocked ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi All I have a single pipe central heating system which was extended 20 years ago when we had an extension. The heating upstairs has never been...
Replies
Views
    • Creative
  • Question
I have a single pipe system retrofitted to a 1930's house. It is powered by a condensing gas boiler. As expected, the radiators get cooler the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views
I have inherited a single pipe central heating system in a large old victorian house, powered by a Worcster Greenstar 8000 and controlled by...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock