Discuss Silver foil tape suitable for sealing drilled FGA test point? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

Hi all,

Just come across a boiler with no FGA test point, so looks like in going to have to drill the flue 12 inches above the boiler to get a reading.

Was just wondering if silver foil tape can be used to then seal the hole, im trying to find something in the regs about using foil tape but can't find the bloody page!!

Anyway can I or can't I?!

Thanks people!

hmmmmmmmmm, wouldn't think that was acceptable to be honest....think if you cant get a test then you need to do it at the terminal I'm not 100% sure though.

hmmmmmmmmm, wouldn't think that was acceptable to be honest....think if you cant get a test then you need to do it at the terminal I'm not 100% sure though.

I would have took it from the flue exit point, but it happens to be on a roof which is now unacessable.
I have definately read something in the regs about foil tape, Im just struggling to remember if its says yay or nay - which is a pain.

i done my CPA1 recently and he drilled a hole in an open flued appliance but he said you shouldnt do this in a house, would have to be from terminal. Why don't you phone GS for a bit of advice ? thats what theyr there for

These are commercial boilers I'm fannying about with. Might give GS a go, although I have never used them in my life for anything technical!

Right well I found the page I was looking for an it is a no no.
So I need to now find some expanding studs for the flue, going to try plumb centre but I don't hold much hope!

how will you get to the outlet section ineer sleeve of the pipe without allowing fumes to travel into the air inlet side ????
i would say no get a ladder and do the terminal its not compulsary to take a reading anyway yet i dont think

Recently finished A.C.S. and was told to condemn any appliance with tape on the flue! Is this the case?

If it hasnt got a port for the FGA then just service it as you would any old boiler??? or am i talking rubbish? You dont have to FGA everything do you?

Don't drill holes in flues and then tape them, very dodgy!

Last edited:
If it hasnt got a port for the FGA then just service it as you would any old boiler??? or am i talking rubbish? You dont have to FGA everything do you?

Don't drill holes in flues and then tape them, very dodgy!

fully agree i second that

If you really want to fga it then it is ok to drill into the flue if there is no point to achieve this. However if MI do not request it to be fga then no need. Do not use foil as the others have stated but silicone is fine.
Coley

What about telescopic flues then?

contravenes the regs but the mi,s are the bible,if you think about it its a flue in a void and its not inspectable if the tape failed?????

Last edited by a moderator:
yes tape on flues not allowed joints must be inspectable

Correct me if I'm wrong... but sometimes flue kits provide you with flue tape...also there is high temp aluminium tape for flues. What sort of tap are you talking about?

true, whats the deal with the telescopic flues then that have the foil tape with them ? how do you make a hatch for them ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Silver foil tape suitable for sealing drilled FGA test point? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock