Search the forum,

Discuss Shut off valve for lpg hob requirement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

grumpynuts

Hi

I am considering renting out my house in Scotland and have an lpg hob in the kitchen. I am aware I need a gas safety certificate and a mate who was an approved gas safe plumber (now retired) has had a quick look and thinks I may need a shut off valve installed under the hob, I have every intention of getting a properly approved guy to get me my certificate but I like to be informed as much as possible before I get work done.

The hob was put in about 10 years ago by an approved plumber. We are off the gas grid and so use an lpg cylinder. It is only connected to the hob and no other appliances.

Having said that the plumber was approved I never had a great deal of confidence in the guy who did the work but he was a subcontractor to a bigger firm doing a whole host of other work. He has since closed up shop as has the main contractor.

The pipe work comes straight out of a wall into the kitchen unit and goes up to the hob and there is no shut off valve. The most logical place to install one would be below the hob but the unit has drawers rather than doors so to access it a drawer would have to be removed each time.

My question is whether if a valve was installed in such a position would it comply with the regs? Obviously its not a diy job. I just want to be aware of my options so as not to get shafted again. I have a nasty feeling I was taken for a ride before and I just want to get the whole thing sorted properly but I dont want to have to rebuild my kitchen if I can avoid it.

Any advice is most welcome.

Cheers

You need to ask a someone local who is qualified.
To be frank it reads like you intend to do it yourself and are fishing for an answer.

If you are letting it out you will need a safety certificate in any event - let them advise and sort.
LPG can be particularly nasty as its heavier than air so if it isnt done properly and leaks it will pool in a compartment or catchment space.

We don't give out gas advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shut off valve for lpg hob requirement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Outside of using a gas-safe LPG engineer, do I have to notify building control for the installation of pipework, hob and a 15kg propane bottle?
Replies
Views
Our House is now fully Heat Pumped, insulated and we have had the Gas Meter Removed. We have a 1950s foldaway Cannon Gas Grill which is on the wall above the AEG Induction hob with 1 Gas burner. It worked very well on Natural gas. We have had the local gas co. install an LPG supply using...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink putting the pipe work in the wall then fitting these black shut off valves and black trap but can’t see how this is possible the way the work has been...
Replies
Views
Im fitting a kitchen in my own house . When removing the gas oven on a bayonet fitting and turned the gas hob off and removed a four burner gas hob. Ive noticed that the oven supply 15mm and the hob supply is 15mm but once the cupboard is out i can see the hob supply is 10mm in the wall. Which...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m changing my kitchen and swapping from a gas hob to an electric induction hob. Rest assured, I have no intention of doing any work at all on the gas supply, I just have a question. Assuming we might want to go back to gas at some point in the future, it may be worth leaving an easy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock