Discuss Should have known better in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mickyplumb

Got bullied into fitting a combi in place of an old servowarm boiler (the one with the swing out rad) today. Kept on at the landlord to at least change the rads and valves as it was all in pretty rough shape. Also, the rads were thin steel.

The existing system was fed via a tiny bucket, the system works at a virtually non existing pressure.

Well, whilst filling up the system, every so often we were hearing a banging type noise, similar to the noise a boiler makes when it overheats when a pump has packed up. Vented the system of air as you do but experience told me something was weird as the needle was really bouncing excessively when I was switching the filling loop on and off.

FACT - when us heating engineers get a feeling that something is wrong, it usually is.

Anyway, set her up at around 1.25 BAR and fired the boiler. All ran well for 10 mins, bit of air, nothing much . Then all of a sudden, there was an almighty bang. Again, everything was fine but the gauge now read .8 bar. Ran round like a nutter but all was fine, the property was above a shop so ran down there expecting that 5 litres had emptied down there. Absolutely nothing.

Then another 2 loud bangs and at the same time I saw the living room rad shudder like crazy but thought it was just some crazy build up of air and the boiler had momentarily boiled up. Checked the gauge, ZERO pressure.

Again, ran round and no leaks, ran into the shop, nothing.

Bloody foxed by this time.

Switched on the filling loop up to .25, held for a min and then dropped to .1 Made no sense.

Did it again, thinking that maybe the boiler was venting air out of the AAV like crazy but in reality knew this wasn't going on.

The he fact that the pressure was holding, even though very low told me that there can't be a pipe in half so I filled up again to 1 BAR and it held.

Fired the boiler again and all ran fine for 10 mins......all of a sudden BANG and it was coming from the front room.

Ran around again, pressure to half a BAR. Then the tenant screamed and the rear panel of the double sided rad had split and started spraying out the back luckily against the wall like a bloody fire hydrant !

Running over with bowls and saucepans to the rad after jamming open the PRV on the boiler I could not believe what I saw. Looking down on top of the double panel rad, the rear panel had blown up like a balloon with the back of it pushing and the wall and the front of it pushing on the rear of the front panel, had pulled out the raw plugs of the brackets.

Basically, all the bangs were the sections in the rads separating one by one. Then, the expansion of the rad was absorbing the pressure in the system whenever I was topping it up.

And, the bouncing on the needle must have been the rad acting as a bouncing bladder.

Being honest, this really shook me up as there were 2 young children playing in the room all the time this was going on as it could easily had been the front panel and sprayed 70-80 degree water over the littluns.

Okay, if it was the front panel, I probably would have noticed it bowing but it took me a while to calm down.

I shouldn't have let the landlord push me into doing this job, I think I got away lightly.

A lesson for all I think.

Mick

So you found out that servowarm made radiators too....the hard way:lol: You shoulda asked.
Dimpled backed rads. You'd better check the pipe isn't truwell too or you'll be back in another wee while when that pops.

So you found out that servowarm made radiators too....the hard way:lol: You shoulda asked.
Dimpled backed rads. You'd better check the pipe isn't truwell too or you'll be back in another wee while when that pops.

Yep, I should have walked away before I started. Capped the flow and return to give them hot water and told the landlord that both he and I need our brains examined.

Fitting a complete new circuit and rads next week.

What's truwell Tamz ? Is it that old plastic ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Whats truwell pipe?

Whats truwell pipe?

A liability

An alloy of iron and copper (iirc) that was used on heating in the early 70's copper shortage. Only used for a few years mainly by servowarm who were probably the biggest player in the heating game at the time.

Rip it out if you come across it.

A liability

An alloy of iron and copper (iirc) that was used on heating in the early 70's copper shortage. Only used for a few years mainly by servowarm who were probably the biggest player in the heating game at the time.

Rip it out if you come across it.

I didn't know that. This tube looks like a very dark, shiny copper. Is that truwell then do you think ? Thick wall.

You just weren't listening Micky. Post 3 of here :smile:
http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/61555-smallest-strangest-f-e-tank-ever.html

Photo of truewell pipe courtesy of Dannypipe
10.jpg

Whats truwell pipe?
I know what you mean now. It's the thin wall steel that used copper capillary fittings. If you happen to disturb theirs it falls out of the fittings.
have used 22mm compression to adapt onto it.

What does everyone else use ( apart from ripping out)

Its a lot heavier than stainless. You can usually tell by giving it a knock. It will make a dull sound.
Also as Chalked said used a lot with copper capillaries. You used a phosphorous based flux which is where most of the problems came from as it needed to be wiped off and washed out right which was rarely if ever done.
Compression fittings if you really need to connect to it but advise them (in writing) to get it changed.

usually the first bit to give way is the vent at water level ,we had a job where the mean customer wouldnt repipe eventually he had to as i think we had done a dozen repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should have known better in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back