Search the forum,

Discuss Shocking low price for combi swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's in a kitchen and the wall is painted bright pink then yes i'll ask them if they have any of the bright pink paint and do it in that to match. But otherwise no, I do it white which makes it very easy for the customer to do it in whatever colour they would like at a later stage.

Always. Old boilers dead! Mag on return and u already done a cold flush. Mains flush gets most of grot out before u open return onto boiler but mag and chemicals do rest . Been doing it for a while. Some times will dose up system week before and drop it while it's hot, dost stems like this but lots of bbu have elson or primatics so it's a no go!

Plus if it's a floor stander or bbu most of the crud is in the lowest point on primary circ (old boiler)
Had an interesting talk with the guy from Altecnic Ltd at ECO Build, all types of magnetic filters / separators (& most have been tested) will only remove around 60 - 65% on first pass. Meaning a hell of a lot of crap goes through the boiler before it is captured. Think I will stick to flushing with with old or no boiler in place but hay each to there own.

Had an interesting talk with the guy from Altecnic Ltd at ECO Build, all types of magnetic filters / separators (& most have been tested) will only remove around 60 - 65% on first pass. Meaning a hell of a lot of crap goes through the boiler before it is captured. Think I will stick to flushing with with old or no boiler in place but hay each to there own.

Mistake 1: Talking to the Altecnic rep.

Mistake 2: Believing a word he said.

:)

JK

arn't your expansion vessels reflex?

I didn't say their products were all rubbish. Just that their reps should not necessarily be believed. Particularly at a show.

I have done a few trade shows, and by the 3rd afternoon, you will say just about anything! :)

I didn't say their products were all rubbish. Just that their reps should not necessarily be believed. Particularly at a show.

I have done a few trade shows, and by the 3rd afternoon, you will say just about anything! :)
Well this was the second, so may be OK. Who said anything about believing everything ?

You know me Ray I will talk to anyone, even plumbing supply company MD's. :wink_smile:

If Itold people how I did it I wouldn't be able to do it.
Put it this way, my quotes are usually 2 - 3 pages long, printed on 180 gsm paper, then all supplementary paperwork, brochures etc. I spend around 30 - 60 minutes with a customer when quoting for a boiler. I do not email quotes, I post my quotes in a fine recycled A4 paper envelope. I take them to the post office and post them first class so they have the big gold '1st' sticker on, not stamps. Then the customer knows you actually went to the post office to post it. I wait three days before posting, even though the quote is done and packaged that night.

I never, ever give a figure at the survey. Not even a rough estimate, even though I generally know the exact price within a few minutes +/- control preferences etc. I tell them directly that I am not cheap, I won't be the cheapest. I tell them that I am the best with upmost confidence and show them pictures of my immaculate installs on the purposefully utilitarian looking iPad.

I have a pair of trousers and a work top I wear only for quoting. Not immaculately clean though; clean but just the right amount of wear to show that i'm actually a workman too.

I spend a great deal of time thinking about every aspect of my business and how I can make people view it. My overall idea is pitching myself as the reassuringly expensive option. I can really talk the talk too, which does help I think. I worked in sales before becoming a heating engineer.

Can you book me in for a boiler swap please - you had me at 'put it this way'!

Seriously though, I think I need to improve my sales patter. I price quite afew but its unusual that I get bathroom installs - probably 10%. Hardly worth bothering to put the time into pricing up

Last edited:
Well yeah a lot of it obviously is the same for each quote. There's a lot involved with installing a boiler, we forget that. Tell them about it, why not? I include a works schedule, information about British Standards that will be adhered to, warranty information, cost breakdowns etc etc. They're paying a lot of money, let them know the why it's so much.
I also include printouts about the controls , Magnaclean, powerflushing etc. I include a Vaillant/Worcester brochure with the page marked which has the information about 'their' boiler.

Presentation is everything in every regard. I very often find that a lot of installers forget about actual presentation of the installation itself and how much the customer doesn't even know it's an issue. That's why I take photos of notable installations I do and show them to the customer as an example of my work. This is one that a lot of people seem to like; note the chaos in the first picture. This on purpose to make the final picture seem even 'cleaner'.

http://i.*********/dQa8bqv.jpg

Ones like this are good because you can highlight things like painting the wall first (which I always do) and straight pipes. People love dem straight pipes. It's like hoovering, don't underestimate how much the customer can only quantify what they know (straight pipes, hoovering) as opposed to things they know nothing about (gas, boilers).
Where you based? High end area?

So out of curiosity what do you guys want on Labour for straight swaps one off one on job billy basics?

ÂŁ350 to ÂŁ600 just for labour. Even charge for screws and clips! If it's a no tools job then closer to. ÂŁ350

don't know if its been covered on here ,but my mate was in the merchants the other day heard that Help Link are doing combi-combi for ÂŁ1200 quid,and its a Worcestor/Vaillant....

don't know if its been covered on here ,but my mate was in the merchants the other day heard that Help Link are doing combi-combi for ÂŁ1200 quid,and its a Worcestor/Vaillant....

I can barely buy them for that...

No, it's ÂŁ1200 deposit and 3 years at ÂŁ16p/m for a 24 junior with no stat, magnaclean or TRVs included :D

I heard an advert on radio today for a WB combi for ONLY ÂŁ1600! IF YOU BUY NOW YOU GET A FREE FLUSH AND MAGNETIC SYSTEM FILTER!! New boilers are on me boys!!!

No, it's ÂŁ1200 deposit and 3 years at ÂŁ16p/m for a 24 junior with no stat, magnaclean or TRVs included :D

I heard an advert on radio today for a WB combi for ONLY ÂŁ1600! IF YOU BUY NOW YOU GET A FREE FLUSH AND MAGNETIC SYSTEM FILTER!! New boilers are on me boys!!!

righto 'TB' did sound a bit too cheap,mind you ÂŁ1600 is peaunuts me mate I sub too sometimes couldn't compete with that.

That's unbelievable ;-)

righto 'TB' did sound a bit too cheap,mind you ÂŁ1600 is peaunuts me mate I sub too sometimes couldn't compete with that.
My merchant sells wb Combi for about ÂŁ800 so ÂŁ800 less a filter ain't bad for a days work IMO. Yes too cheap but not worst I've seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shocking low price for combi swap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock