Discuss Sewer Pipes in Concrete Pool Walls? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Another question.
Assuming the fall is fine, and putting the concrete issue aside, are these 4 extra bends likely to lead to blockages?
And if so, is it possible (easy) to unblock them from a vertical ground level access hole about 1m behind where they join?
Thanks.

Bends always contribute to issues.
I'm not bothered about the extra bends.

Getting access to the drain is critical.. water jetters can get to anywhere for a point relatively easily.

A cracked or broken drain will be the issue

Are you a developer or homer owner?

Ah OK

I've not seen footings poured round drains. I think the typical way here would be to pour the footing lower build up around it and lintel it. Using pea beach to support the underside of the drain work for movement

Bends always contribute to issues.
I'm not bothered about the extra bends.

Getting access to the drain is critical.. water jetters can get to anywhere for a point relatively easily.

A cracked or broken drain will be the issue

Are you a developer or homer owner?
Thanks. That's a relief. Pipes seem to be working fine so far anyway, no issues.
I think I might be wrong about the concrete, will confirm tomorrow. Seems silly that they would actually encase in the concrete walls actually. I'll report back.
Home owner.

Talked to the pool guy this morning who confirmed it is being encased in the concrete, and it's the best and safest option under the circumstances. It has been decided upon and certified by the licensed plumber as the best option, and that you have to be on site to inspect to know what is the best solution here under the circumstances. The compact clay we have means movement won't be an issue.
No insulation tape is used because it's not a house footing, and that this is standard practice in mains sewers, and that's how our main sewer was also replaced in our backyard right next to this, it's simply encased in the concrete. I looked at some old photos and I think he's right.

He said the pipe is safer in the concrete than loosely compacted and back filled under the ground outside the concrete wall. Again, I think he's right.

Also, the plumber said there was plenty of fall and that the water was in fact "racing" along. So no issue there.

The thing is we don't really have another viable option here. To dig out a massive trench to the depth required a distance from the pool is a massive and very expesive operation. Not to mention there is a existing mains sewer easement right next to it (certified ok for distance BTW).

So seems like this has to go ahead as-is.

Last edited:
You're kidding yourself.
Pool guy said to encase pipe in concrete was best practice?
Plumber said no insulation required because pipe was not penetrating footing?

Generally when you lay a drain you surround the drain with screenings.
When you lay a drain in concrete, you wrap the pipe with lagging to allow for minor movement, as you do when penetrating a slab or footings.

But then again, it's you pool and your plumbing.

I can't be bothered finding the exact regulation, but it's something like 25mm insulation around sewer pipes encased in concrete.

Don't worry, by the time you have problems, you would have paid the pool guy and the plumber.

Plumber doesn't sound like he knows the Regs.
Pool guy will blame the Plumber - and be liability free.

Good Luck.

And I like the way you state: ' I think he's right '

Reply to Sewer Pipes in Concrete Pool Walls? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock