Search the forum,

Discuss setting up on my own in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dougal

hi guys

i would like to set up and work for myself have 9 years experience in mainly gas service and breakdowns fitted couple of full systems. just fed up being layed off twice this year.
would like to be in control of my future. any advice welcome

My first port of call was the business enterprise people, really good at pointing you in the right direction.

not the best time really, but at least you can do brakedowns, its shocking how many lads cant. good luck mate

I would say give it another 6 months and look to possibly start up then , My own works has been very quiet especially last few weeks and contract works i have done has been bitty over last two years to say least .
You need to gain more install experience tho i would say so can cover both sides competently breakdowns and intalls as you will probably get asked for prices you end up getting roped into jobs you dont really want.

We're very busy, we have been established 20 years but if you have the money to start up, get a good website on the first page of google, wack some big adverts in the local paper, post some flyers, drop in to estate agents etc then I'm sure you'll get plenty of work.

there are lots of goverment schemes to help you set up with a grants or a£100 a wk pay schemes if you sign up on a business enterprise scheme. times are hard at the moment though and the stress can get to you.i set up on myself last my and its been vey hard but i have had some good wks and some bad ,good luck

ant

best thing to do at the moment is get your van, public liability insurance, gas safe and sign up with agencies looking for contract work or look direct whilst doing your own jobs at weekends or evenings to build up a customer base and let word of mouth spread that is what I'm trying to do at the moment as it is hard out there, people are working far too cheap to be honest.

From I have been reading mate I'd stick how u are for now or subby out to bg or something

best thing to do at the moment is get your van, public liability insurance, gas safe and sign up with agencies looking for contract work or look direct whilst doing your own jobs at weekends or evenings to build up a customer base and let word of mouth spread that is what I'm trying to do at the moment as it is hard out there, people are working far too cheap to be honest.

I would do exactly what GQuigley says. I got made redundant and have my own gas safe, van etc and do sub contract work and my own bits and bobs on weekends/evenings. Word of mouth is the best advertising you can get, I have got most of my work this way. Like I say i'm contracting at the minute but eventually over the years I want to be doing my own stuff all the time.

Hi, advertising is ok but word of mouth is far better, use loads of dustsheets, always be honest and not pushy, when you quote list everything you will be doing, always add value- if you're just fitting a cooker and you spot an unclipped gas pipe or whatever, just bang a clip in for free, they will remember you for that stuff. Turn up neat and tidy, no paste on trousers etc. Don't call women 'love', you get the idea...

My boss does no advertising whatsoever, everythings word of mouth. We do work for estate agents, our own work and then contract to a local firm who has the contract for the housing associations. Works there if your willing to find it.

I have had no jobs yet through advertising, just word of mouth really and through other tradesmen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to setting up on my own in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock