Search the forum,

Discuss setting up a buissness self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumben

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
If I was to set up on my own what costs would I be looking at other than
van
Van insurance
Liability insurance
accountancy fees
advertisement

Thanks in advance

Thw biggest thing to consider is how to stay afloat and keep food on the table during the very early lean periods while your sat waiting for thw phone to ring

You really need a good few k In the bank before setting up.

tools, tools and more tools, spares, fuel, van servicing, overdraft fees, telephone, laptop etc. Something to live on in the meantime

Road tax, gas safe tax! Tool wear, phone bills and add about 20% on top of that for good measure ,bills appear out of nowhere.

Advertising will cost 5x more than what you have estimated :p it really can be expensive, plus when you start you have to try everything & see what works for you...

im not sure if your gas safe, but add on gas safe registrations fees etc if your doing that

training costs, acs etc plus it costs to do manufacturers courses if you overnight.

How come you want to go self employed anyway...?

Should of mentioned really, Iv got 4 months left with my gas in college, and id still be working for my current boss just doing my own work when it comes in and weekends

How come you want to go self employed anyway...?

I only work for a one man band, I can either get a job with a big firm, go self-employed and subbie to my current boss, or he might offer me a partnership in the business but I can forsee problems with that

How long have you been doing plumbing then? If your going self employed its worth getting some years under the belt that's for sure!

I only work for a one man band, I can either get a job with a big firm, go self-employed and subbie to my current boss, or he might offer me a partnership in the business but I can forsee problems with that

I would stay away from the partnership... My friend suggested that when we went self employed, but it will always lead to trouble / complications etc

Should of mentioned really, Iv got 4 months left with my gas in college, and id still be working for my current boss just doing my own work when it comes in and weekends

Advice: Do not crap on your boss. He's taken the time and trouble seeing you throught, so show him loyality.

I would stay away from the partnership... My friend suggested that when we went self employed, but it will always lead to trouble / complications etc

I want to stay away from a partnership because I can see that
I'm in my 4th year, however id still work with/along side my boss

Advice: Do not crap on your boss. He's taken the time and trouble seeing you throught, so show him loyality.

I would never do that, he'll never employ me though so my options are self-employed (working with him still) /partnership or work for a big firm

Throw yourself in at the deep end sink or swim you only have one reasonable option :)

Remember aside from a plumber/gas man you'll also be an accountant in some measure, receptionist, marketing dep, PR dep, complaints dep & a buisness man.. also if our tight as fcuk with money that helps too lol

I just thought I was a plumber/gasman when I started.. opps.. still learning daily

I don't understand why your boss won't employ you? Presumably he's employed you on an apprenticeship so why doesn't he want to keep you on? I wouldn't want to train someone for 4 years to have them leave..

Van Purchase Cost
Van Running Cost
Van Insurance Cost
Van Sign Writing
Van Racking / Roof Rack / Tube Carrier
Van Servicing
Advertising
Public Liability Insurance
Waste Carriers License
Online Presence (Website, Domain Name, Email)
Business Phone
Stationary (invoice pad etc)
Card Payment Machine
Business Banking Costs
Tools
Uniform
Small amount of van stock
Business Cards / Leaflets etc..
Printer + Ink
Accountancy Costs

Some of them are obviously optional

Van Purchase Cost
Van Running Cost
Van Insurance Cost
Van Sign Writing
Van Racking / Roof Rack / Tube Carrier
Van Servicing
Advertising
Public Liability Insurance
Waste Carriers License
Online Presence (Website, Domain Name, Email)
Business Phone
Stationary (invoice pad etc)
Card Payment Machine
Business Banking Costs
Tools
Uniform
Small amount of van stock
Business Cards / Leaflets etc..
Printer + Ink
Accountancy Costs

Some of them are obviously optional

you forgot the most important, money to live on bit!

I don't understand why your boss won't employ you? Presumably he's employed you on an apprenticeship so why doesn't he want to keep you on? I wouldn't want to train someone for 4 years to have them leave..

No I'm not employed, don't have a contract or anything, just a placement, well that's it really after my 4 years (this august ill have my gas ticket) I can

1 - set up on my own
2 - work for a firm
3 - he's offered me a partnership maybe (id rather avoid this though)

I've already got a van+roof rack - traffic
A small amount of stock for foreigners

No I'm not employed, don't have a contract or anything, just a placement, well that's it really after my 4 years (this august ill have my gas ticket) I can

1 - set up on my own
2 - work for a firm
3 - he's offered me a partnership maybe (id rather avoid this though)

I've already got a van+roof rack - traffic
A small amount of stock for foreigners

As far as I know it is illegal to employ someone without a contract and if they don't give you one then you are employed on a standard contract.

If you have just finished an apprenticeship then I would avoid at all cost going self employed yet. It is still a steep learning curve and you don't want to have to learn how to run a business as well.

I would try and get on with another company for a couple of years whilst you get some more experience so then when you do set up on your own you stand a better chance of making it. Also over this time put a lot of money aside for the day you do go self employed and buy a good amount of van stock etc.

As far as I know it is illegal to employ someone without a contract and if they don't give you one then you are employed on a standard contract.

If you have just finished an apprenticeship then I would avoid at all cost going self employed yet. It is still a steep learning curve and you don't want to have to learn how to run a business as well.

I would try and get on with another company for a couple of years whilst you get some more experience so then when you do set up on your own you stand a better chance of making it. Also over this time put a lot of money aside for the day you do go self employed and buy a good amount of van stock etc.

i wouldn't be working on my own as such as id still be working with him and just doing my own work as it comes in,

Thanks for all the advice so far though, its much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to setting up a buissness self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock