Discuss servicing flued convector fire/ newbie Q in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sterry_12

Hi lads, jus doing my gas portfolio (not yet qualified) been servicing fires and BBU wit a mate but i've never serviced a flued convector. would you take the fire off the wall, or do you jus strip it down an clean the burner etc? no smoke bomb required i guess? smoke test once fire is back together as normal. any help would be great! cheers.

hi sterry.... i'd take it out and check everything.....you'd be amazed what you will find behind these things.... never walk away in doubt....and you sound in doubt as to what to do with this....no disaster for overdoing a job....

ok so take it off the wall, would i use a smoke bomb? i am not actually servicing the fire jus asking HOW to service it as i've only serviced BBU with a chimney. Once off will the fire be hard to line back up with the flue?

hi sterry.... i'd take it out and check everything.....you'd be amazed what you will find behind these things.... never walk away in doubt....and you sound in doubt as to what to do with this....no disaster for overdoing a job....

I'm assuming the OP means a balanced flue gas wall heater. Personally I'd check the flame picture, gas rate it and use the analyser to check the combustion. I'd only strip and service if the gas rate or combustion was out because there's a good chance of damaging the seals when you take it apart.

nice 1 cheers mike. as im learning for my gas exam, is this by the book? struggling to find a service routine for these fires. im guessing you wudn't use a smoke bomb either, jus a smoke match?

For the exams you should be following the manufacturers instructions or the instruction sheets given to you by the assessment centre. To check for leaks on the casing I'd be using the analyser again.

ok so take it off the wall, would i use a smoke bomb? i am not actually servicing the fire jus asking HOW to service it as i've only serviced BBU with a chimney. Once off will the fire be hard to line back up with the flue?

smoke bomb?? some of these can be hard to do as they are under positive pressure.... fitted a new one recently and the pressure of the wind blowing in the flue made it impossible to do a smoke test......as smoke would have been all over the house....as for refitting the flue some are easier than others,depends on the fitter and the quality of the flue kit!!!

cheers lads, have no experience with these fires so jus wanted to know incase i don do one before the exam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to servicing flued convector fire/ newbie Q in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Newbie here so feel free to teach me the etiquette of this place, and apologies for the lengthy opening post. The boiler started locking out...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
Hey all Looking for a consensus on an issue that has arisen. Disclaimer is that my ideal icos 12 boiler Is over 10 years old but has been...
Replies
Views
Hi, We had our annual oil burner service carried out by a well known Norfolk firm last Thursday and all was great for a day. Came home from work...
Replies
Views
Hi hoping someone can help with this as its beginning to drive me nuts. Boiler generally well serviced and working fine, no problems with DHW...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock