Discuss Self employment advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys. I’ve been Plumbing for the last 7 years and for the last 18months I have been self employed(subby). I more like fell into self employment rather than chose to be. A couple of bad decisions along the way. Unfortunately I don’t have my own van due to getting married last year but also have had vans from my employer before. Apart from actually getting a loan or lease are there any help schemes or anything for the self employed? Probably not I know, but I find I’m not wanting to promote myself whilst having to use the car. We all know it’s pretty impossible to trade out of a car and also in my opinion looks a bit DIY.
Any advice you guys can offer would be a great help.

Buy a cheap van or start a lease, finance, loan are the only options I think.
It can be a bit of a money pit if you get something that needs money spent.
Do you travel far?

Do you have any spare cash at all? Could probably pick up a 10 year old belingo for around a £1000.00. Will have massive mileage though.

Sell the car ! PX for a van, look on eBay or Auto-trader you may find someone who wants a swap, you don't need a car, when I started I used a van for everything for over 6 years

Sell the car ! PX for a van, look on eBay or Auto-trader you may find someone who wants a swap, you don't need a car, when I started I used a van for everything for over 6 years
Ha. I wish I could mate. For the first time in 19 years I don’t own a vehicle it’s my wife’s car. Financially this is the worst situation I’ve ever been in. Ironically I got into to Plumbing to earn/provide a better living for my family.

Ha. I wish I could mate. For the first time in 19 years I don’t own a vehicle it’s my wife’s car. Financially this is the worst situation I’ve ever been in. Ironically I got into to Plumbing to earn/provide a better living for my family.

Then to be honest to be self employed without transport your up S--t creek without a paddle, but shop around some cheep vans around & as long as its got service history it could be ok . Check out MOT history on DVLA web site see anything it failed on. you don't need anything new or flash , my old transit is 16 years old and does everything I need , customers don't care about your van , only what you charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employment advice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock