Search the forum,

Discuss Self employed but now paye in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys, I'm needing advice.. I'm self employed for a few months but I was offered a job where I couldn't refuse and I was going to keep my business still open and focus on smaller job e.g. Boiler servicing..
Can I close down my business and still keep my public liability updated and still do gas work?
as I'm only keeping the business open for my gas ticket. Any advice appreciated it!
The next question my business becomes my second income and I don't make that much money.

What does your new employment contract say about you doing a 2nd job?

In essence you keep your SE business running, all the paperwork, all the receipts and you will have to do a tax return ...

Don’t forget to save from your 2nd job, your tax and NI liabilities ...

Your new job you self employed with that or employed direct ?

Just stop advertising and do homers for your existing base. Means weekend and evening work. Ser how employment goes and review again in 6 months. Still need to declare earnings or lack of them from business. Spend the money you earn on homers that you put through your business on tools you may not have, like good core drill, impact drivers, good hand tools etc etc as they are allowable against tax so, over the next months get yourself booted with the best of gear that will last if you decide to go self employed again. All depends on how comfortable you get in job and the guranteed income every month or.....back to SE. Once your insurance and gas safe registration are up for renewal you may decide to cease trading at that point? Already paid for up to then.

Don't deregister as a soletrader/self-employed as you will still be S.E. even though you are also salaried.

What you will find is that HMRC put you on a second job tax code on your new job (iirc they always do this automatically if you are currently self employed, even if the PAYE job is going to be your main job). If you check out your first pay check it will have the code BR on it if they have done this. You only get your £11k tax free allowance on your main job, which by default will be your self employment, so there will be no allowance for this on your PAYE job. If you call up HMRC you should be able to get them to switch things over so that your PAYE job is designated as your main job, they might require some kindof evidence for this (e.g. contract).

If you've got an accountant I'd have a chat with them about whether or not to switch your main job allocation over with HMRC. If you do your own books I can send you some more info over.

Reply to Self employed but now paye in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. I’m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm new on the forum, I'm a gas service and repair engineer rather than a plumber. I used to work for a big company, now self employed. I do some install work too but nothing too big as I work alone and to be honest I'm not quick enough at installation work and not experienced in...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock