Discuss Self cleaning drain smell unblocking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

My upstairs shower drain is smelling absolutely rotten, water is draining a little slower than normal. I’m 99% sure it’s my gf’s hair (had this issue in the past).

The waste is a Crosswater self cleaning vortex style one (think it’s made by Wirquin) to go with the shower tray. It blocked in the past and we took down the plasterboard in the room below to access it, there was no runoff and water was actually trying to run back towards the shower along with several unecessary elbows. I got a local plumber to fix it, and he changed up the pipe work and it’s been great for the last 18 months.
Now as above it’s smelling foul, I can actually smell it in the room below (I have the plasterboard down). I will have no problem fixing it this time because I have access but I need a solution for future. I have ordered some eco unblocker to try hopefully tomorrowbut I don’t have much faith going by other online reviews.

I would really like to avoid having a service hatch in the room below, same with harsh chemicals because I have a septic tank. I can’t keep taking the plasterboard down either.

we did have a different waste fitted briefly which looked awful in the tray and didn’t really work (found out later this was because of the water flowing back towards the shower).

Is there any way or technique of snaking these self cleaning wastes from the shower room? or a tool that could be recommended? I’ve tried manual drain snakes and plastic barbed things but they really struggle to work through the waste.

I also believe my plumber who did the installation should have laid the stone tray on top of marine ply, but chose not to.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• FE67E635-D950-42C8-83F8-72353798F8D4.jpeg
    FE67E635-D950-42C8-83F8-72353798F8D4.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi DIY guy,

I'll leave it to the experts here to suggest best simple solutions to this tricky problem.

Drains I think will always tend to block if you can't put bleach down once a week so you need access to traps. I think there probably is a solution you can access from above. Washing you hair with conditioner will I'm told make it worse, and the more you wash your hair the more conditioning it might need.

If the above fails then I'm wondering about if you could have a dummy light fitting or something similar below e.g. large boss for light fitting, to hide the access. No 240 electrics etc. in that of course.

For the ply what does it say in the tray instructions? Presumably you wouldn't want the tray higher, and personally I would not cut into the joists.

Cheers,

Roy (a very amateur plumber)

Looking at the photo is the first elbow connected to the trap a push-fit type, if so then I would buy a cheap wet-vac then disconnect that joint, connect the vac to the pipe to the drains with gaffa tape and let it run for awhile whilst having a cuppa. If anything else such as a basin is connected to the pipe then use wet cloths on plug holes and overflow holes to give the vac a good suction.

Hi DIY guy,

I'll leave it to the experts here to suggest best simple solutions to this tricky problem.

Drains I think will always tend to block if you can't put bleach down once a week so you need access to traps. I think there probably is a solution you can access from above. Washing you hair with conditioner will I'm told make it worse, and the more you wash your hair the more conditioning it might need.

If the above fails then I'm wondering about if you could have a dummy light fitting or something similar below e.g. large boss for light fitting, to hide the access. No 240 electrics etc. in that of course.

For the ply what does it say in the tray instructions? Presumably you wouldn't want the tray higher, and personally I would not cut into the joists.

Cheers,

Roy (a very amateur plumber)

The plumber did cut into the joists, the shower room was supposed to have the tray level access with the tiles but it ended up being recessed maybe 20mm when the job was completed so there’s a slight step down into the tray. The tray instructions say it should be sat in marine ply.

I questioned the tray not being level access when I got home and saw the completed job, he said it was done as a favour to me because I’m so tall and it gained me some height. I was ok with it. I was away with work for 2 weeks when the majority of the fit was getting done.

I am not a plumber by any means, but a question I have - would it not have made more sense to have my waste drain outlet angled 45 degrees or so to the left to give it a straighter run?

The ceilings are low so 4x GU10 downlights is pretty much what I’m limited to, part of the reason I really want to avoid putting a service hatch in.

Thanks rpm, I can easily disconnect and remove this time but Ill need to patch the ceiling up eventually meaning I’ll only be able to access from up top on the waste inlet On the actual tray.
The waste has been great, I just wish I could find a way of cleaning/snaking from the tray?

I had a suggestion from a friend of an in-line trap(?) with the silicon membrane in to stop smells coming back through, but I’m pretty sure the hair accumulates straight after the waste and I’ll just have the same problem.

The main issues here seem to be smell and blockage.

A waste trap should prevent smells from the pipework coming up into the room. Is the trap faulty, or are there pipework issues that make the trap fail to seal? One indicator might be whether smells come up from the waste when the shower is in use. If yes, then almost certainly a faulty trap rather than dirt in the trap smelling.

I am, of course, assuming your waste incorporates a trap, in which case applying your friend's suggestion should not be needed.

Blockages are often caused by the cut pipes being left rough internally. The snags can then trap hairs. Purpose-designed shower traps are usually accessible from the top so you shouldn't need access from below, though if it were my own house I would prefer to have access if possible.

If you can smell it in the room below, there may be a fault in your pipework. The pipework should be airtight, so where is the smell coming out?

As far as tray support is concerned, most trays have pedestal/riser kits that would give support not greatly dissimilar to that afforded by your joists, so probably not a great issue.

The main issues here seem to be smell and blockage.

A waste trap should prevent smells from the pipework coming up into the room. Is the trap faulty, or are there pipework issues that make the trap fail to seal? One indicator might be whether smells come up from the waste when the shower is in use. If yes, then almost certainly a faulty trap rather than dirt in the trap smelling.

I am, of course, assuming your waste incorporates a trap, in which case applying your friend's suggestion should not be needed.

Blockages are often caused by the cut pipes being left rough internally. The snags can then trap hairs. Purpose-designed shower traps are usually accessible from the top so you shouldn't need access from below, though if it were my own house I would prefer to have access if possible.

If you can smell it in the room below, there may be a fault in your pipework. The pipework should be airtight, so where is the smell coming out?

As far as tray support is concerned, most trays have pedestal/riser kits that would give support not greatly dissimilar to that afforded by your joists, so probably not a great issue.

In my original post I have posted a pic of what’s underneath the shower (I’ll post it again here). I cannot see any trap, there’s just the waste which eventually runs towards a large waste pipe at the toilet area. I think because of the location there possibly wasn’t enough room for a P-trap?

I have not noticed any smell whilst actually using the shower, I’ll pay attention when I have one shortly this morning.

I have wondered wether there’s a gap in the pipework but the room above isn’t airtight. One time when the shower overfilled with a hair blockage (before the runoff angle was corrected) it flooded downstairs, the water escaped through a gap between the shower tray and tiles. You can see the light from the room above clearly through this gap from downstairs looking up. I wondered if that gap was enough for the smell to reach the dining room.

The tray is stone so it’s basically just a large slab that sits on whatever you have below it, there’s no adjustment on it.

As I have a septic system could the smell be caused in a blockage elsewhere? (soil stack?).

Is it a proper water trap or a mechanical trap eg silicon

1591178307688.png

As if it’s the silicon type hair / other stuff could be keeping the joint / silicon open so smells are coming through

Reply to Self cleaning drain smell unblocking in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock