Discuss Seeking employment help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dava811

Hello guys, i know you all probably get this question everyday but i'l try to make it brief.

I'm currently doing C+G 6129 1st year, and imtrying to get employment as an apprentice. I'm just wondering what steps i should take, for example..
How should i approach the firms (Big Plumbing firms),(sole traders) and (medium size firms). Im not sure weither to e-mail them,send letters or contact by phone enquiring by phone.

As most of you are time served plumbers and self employed or business owners, how would you like to be contacted about possible employment.:) Also if anyone has been in my situation, which im sure there have been please feel free to leave me a suggestion.

Thanks, David.:)

not sure weither to e-mail them,send letters or contact by phone

Do all 3. And then repeat.
You've got your work cut out, everything's worth a shot. Also advertise in local plumber's merchants and walk in and ask at any companies who have show rooms / shops. Best case scenario, couple of weeks you get something. Worst case scenaro it could take you best part of a year, but you most probably will get something eventually if you try hard enough.

these are the months you should be looking as most employers are looking at the next few months at taking on apprenticeships - once employed look to getting on a proper apprenticeship scheme.

email, phone, letters with your cv make each one individual to the company - even ask if you can put a sign up in local plumbers merchants etc etc

When you say "proper apprenticeship scheme" what exactly do u mean? im 25 and doing 2 evenings a week in college. I am so keen to get into the nitty gritty of plumbing.

a day release, work based and nvq level 2 and 3 mate.

what your doing is a tech cert, basically like the theory test of driving, you can past your theory but i wouldnt let you drive my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand what your saying, basically my tudor has said by the time we r ready for the nvq part of my course, we should be doing bits here and there, homers etc for friends and family, which should be enough to get an NVQ.

Obviously its not ideal but if it means getting qualified im happy enough, altho as it is said enough, ur not a plumber (or a competent one) unless you have the experiences on site.

I'm living in Belfast so im not sure if plumbing jobs are harder or easier to come by than in England for example, any ideas?

advice from course tutor more than a little suspect!!!! but good luck mate hope it all works out

your work has to be signed off by a competent person. and verified by an assessor.

its not as easy as your tutor is making out. you'll need 10 jobs covering range of jobs hot and cold water, heating, outside drainage - do your best to get a job, and get on a proper scheme.

Thanks for the encouragement, getting a job in the industry is my main goal atm, if i have a success story, il be sure to let you know :D.

its a funny one this because i was speaking to my tutor yesterday about what happens with are course next year, the whole 6129 is changing and there will be an nvq module included in the course, and my comment was if we cant get employment to do the nvq module could we go self employed to gather the eveidence needed for this and he said yes:confused:

please correct me if im wrong/or hes wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Seeking employment help. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock