Search the forum,

Discuss Second time in 2 months, pump not working and no cold water in bath or shower room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bird

Recently moved new flat (end August), on second floor, 70s block with low water pressure (10 storey). 2 bathrooms (back to back). Warned by agent not to install taps with ceramic disks. We refurbished flat, put in new kitchen, sink, taps etc. And changed one bathroom to a shower room. As far as I am aware all existing plumbing points were used.

For second time in 2 months, pump not working and no cold water in bath or shower rooms, and limited or no hot water (WC and kitchen have cold water, kitchen has some hot)

ALTERATIONS BY BUILDER
Builder replaced bath with a shower. Vado exposed shower valve (CEL149 1/2inch 1.2 bar). Vado low pressure handset.

Replaced conventional kitchen mixer tap with a Blanco mixer tap (ceramic disc valves suitable low pressure). And to stop splashing a Miracle Tap spray at end of the spout.

The Salamander lump was leaking and noisy, so got a plumber to replace with a new one Salamander ESP75 (positive/negative feed 2.2 bar). Understand our system needs negative feed.

PROBLEMS
All worked fine for a couple of weeks then without warning one morning no cold water in bathrooms, trickle of hot water, and pump flashing green/red 2* (*DRY RUN PROTECTION only occurs in instances of chronic aeration or water starvation after (2) ON OFF ON OFF operation and a 60 second recovery period).
In kitchen cold water running well (not off pump), hot water not bad. Turned off pump.

Plumber who installed pump spent 2 hours looking for fault. Eventually said hot water coming back into cold pipes. Suggested was fault with shower mixer valve (which had loose knob). Vado agreed faulty, sent an engineer, and replaced right 'knob' fitting. SYSTEM ALL WORKED FINE THEN!!

One month on exactly the same has happened. Pump goes on for a couple of minutes, then warning lights switch to same green/red. But even when on water doesn't run in bathrooms (only trickle of hot). So turn off pump.

Have already paid thousands to builder for refurb., and not happy with some of his work. His plumber prepared the plumbing for shower, but builder fitted the shower. Another recommended plumber who is apparently familiar with our block has already had £800 or so to replace the pump, and research the subsequent fault.

I don't understand plumbing at all. Could this be a defect with the pump, one of the shower valves, the size of the shower head, the kitchen tap ceramic discs, or is it the pump??????.

Meanwhile having to carry buckets of cold water to bathroom for bath! What do I do .. should I get in builder, plumber who replaced pump, contact Vado again????

Re: Second time in 2 months, pump not working and no cold water in bath or shower roo

If you paid the builder for the whole job then ask him to come back & fix it, the contract is with him & clearly there is a problem. If for some reason they will not sort it out I would tell them in writing that you are going to call the pump manufactures, &/or another plumbing company in to fix the problem & that you will be looking to recover your costs from them.
Your information although detailed does not allow the fault to be identified.
Hope this helps.

Re: Second time in 2 months, pump not working and no cold water in bath or shower roo

Agreed, Your builder should've included a warranty period in his contract with you. You seem pretty savvy so I'll assume you have one.

Thks for taking time to answer. Builder was a nightmare, and rather than pay him to install a new pump, I got in a plumber who 'knew our block'. (My builder kept saying everything wasn't in the contract and I ended up paying £10,000 extra!)

That's the problem. Water failed after pump was fitted. But appeared to be due to the Vado valve the original builder fitted. So builder will blame on plumber, and plumber told me to speak to Vado (who seemed to resolve the problem, until it returned). So don't know what to do now.

I was hoping one of you might know what is likely to be the cause of the problem? Could it be a problem with the pump??? If not, then yes will definitely get back to builder

Last edited by a moderator:

Duplicate, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber came today .... Found debris blocking water tank. Removed bits of paper and grit, pump now working again etc. So can sleep well tonight!

(Before calling plumber I checked with Vado and Salamander - both helpful and got through straightaway). Vado said shower valve would only stop water to the shower and nothing else. And Salamander were pretty confident not a pump fault, and suggested either air in system, or blockage)

Plumber came today .... Found debris blocking water tank. Removed bits of paper and grit, pump now working again etc. So can sleep well tonight!

(Before calling plumber I checked with Vado and Salamander - both helpful and got through straightaway). Vado said shower valve would only stop water to the shower and nothing else. And Salamander were pretty confident not a pump fault, and suggested either air in system, or blockage)
Good to no you are all sorted, was it the install plumber that came back ?

Yes, the company who fitted the replacement pump, and who came back when we had the problem a few days later. I asked them to send a different person as the last one spent 2 hours looking round and could only suggest there had to a problem with a shower valve.

Before calling in plumber, I spoke to Vado and Salamander (both helpful), and it didn't sound like the builder needed to be involved. The only thing that's strange is the last time once the shower valve thermostat knob was replaced, the water came on again!!! But Vado and my plumber today insist that had nothing to do with it.

Maybe the paper / dirt moved when they turned off, anyway the main thing is you are sorted.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Second time in 2 months, pump not working and no cold water in bath or shower room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock