Discuss Screwfix at it again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Majority of plumbfix gear is good. Some is tat.

Plus I get a free big cup of hot chocolate.

Screwfix are no different to any other retailer, they want to sell.

Plus they get a lot of trade customers.

Went into an Indy on Wednesday late on for a wirquin jolly flush kit. Guy behind the counter said 'thank f@ck, somebody who knows what they want'. He was complaining that he'd had nothing all day but 'plumbers' who hadn't a clue.

To be fair, when I go te get parts I know what I want and only need to get creative when things aren't available.

Which merchant do you work for Rob? :)
If indeed I was going to work for merchant it would be AT Carr in Lancashire a smashing operation serving 98 + happy plumbers merchants in Wales and NW England. They are my friends. If I wanted to purchase plumbing and heating gear as I do at rock bottom prices but top branded quality ...then it’s no contest....BES Gas Controls
Electric Avenue Brum. Used this outfit for years

Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I'm a fan of JTM Plumbing Supplies online and they have good prices that are far cheaper than Screwfix, a good range of stock, and they have good customer service.
Ray Stafford’s operation is really going well ...I think it’s essential that we all put this together and support our favourite suppliers ...rubbish suppliers bye bye good ones ,
Yes please and spread he word
Rob Foster. Aka centralheatking

I was in Graham a month ago.

(There is a local independent but it has a bad reputation in the trade; the reputation has it that it sells cheap tat, or faulty branded stock and if you ever have a problem with something you've bought there, don't bother trying to get satisfaction.)

So, I was replacing a WC siphon as the diaphragm was damaged and not worth repairing as the siphon was too high for the water level and I wanted the new one to be as close as possible to 25mm over the waterline. How it should be, in other words. WL was a little over 7" so I wanted an 8.5" siphon. I feel that on a low or high-level cistern, removing a siphon is no big deal, and that on a close-coupled cistern the close-coupling plate is usually starting to rust by the time the diaphragm fails so to change one without the other would be doing the customer a disservice. In this case the diaphragm had lasted 20 years.

So what wanted was a one-piece 8.5" siphon. Graham had a height adjustable siphon at some ridiculous price, or a 3-piece 9.5" siphon at over £16 plus VAT. They were out of stock of 8.5" versions. I told them that was a ridiculous extra hike to my customer's bill to not even really have the product I wanted. Just makes me look expensive without either myself or my customer deriving any benefit.

Toolstation had a 9" one-piece of a reputable brand for £4.76 inclusive in stock. Guess which supplier made the sale.

The other problem I have with merchants is that I tend to supply emailed quotes and I write these in the evenings, but the merchants are closed and cannot supply me with prices. I price my jobs based on what I can find on the Plumbfix website and then find there isn't the money in the job to allow me to buy at the merchants.

I use the likes of Screwfix, Tool station, B&Q as they are open late which is great for us trades to use at the evening saves losing valuable time in the mornings. I hardly visit regular plumbing Merchants now, i do most of ordering over the phone and get deliveries to site, just picking up bits and pieces from Screwfix at night once the bulk of the deliverley is on site.
Screwfix/toolstation etc will grow rapidly as more trades use them for ease of getting everthing in one place at a time to suit you and like Rik2013 says the prices are there to help price up a job.

Last edited:

Reply to Screwfix at it again! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock