Discuss Screeching from somewhere in plumbing- Megaflo? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The OP

Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum, and I'd be very grateful for your thoughts on a problem we have had for a month, and which we have spent several £100s on, with no success.

Despite visits from 3 plumbers/engineers, we cannot get rid of a loud screeching/groaning noise occuring in our plumbing, which seems to emanate from, or near, or Megaflo unvented indirect cylinder. We have almost run out of ideas!

When the noise is loud, the pressure gauge wobbles slightly. But it never exceeds 1.4 bar, even when noise is at loudest.

The pressure relief and pressure reducing valves have been changed, and a shock arrester installed. All to no success. A heatrae sadia engineer said it wasn't the tank (though it really sounds like the noise comes from the megaflo, especially when you put your ear to it). He suggested we have the two zone valves looked at.

Before I spend yet more money- has anyone any ideas?

Many many thanks.

Here is a video (filmed at 2am, so forgive the shakiness).

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAJaz8o1dg&feature=youtu.be&deskt op_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYEAJaz8o1dg%26feature%3Dyout u.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at the zone valves as well remember the sound will travel through the pipe work in to your cylinder.

Video -
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YEAJaz8o1dg&feature=youtu.be&deskt op_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYEAJaz8o1dg%26feature%3Dyout u.be[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn the power off to your boiler tonight and see if you still get the noise.
if you do then you can rule out zone valves.
if you dont then do this for the following night too and see if there is still no noise.

Thanks for all your help.

BLOD, no grey knob I can see- pictures below- but all of the valves in the first picture have been replaced since the noise started. We did have the TPR replaced over 3 months ago after a slight leak, but that predates the problems by 2 months. A heatrae engineer recharged the pressure bubble last week, but that has made no difference.

Which knob do you mean?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 72
sounds like pump to me. could you try to change pump speed and undo nut in the front of the pump to see if any water coming out of it.

Last edited:
sorry, its in your cupboard , blue with BG multihead sign on. It shouldnt be hot when nothing is on anyway so if its spinning something is probably not switching off as it should. But, try pump first, just doesnt make sense why this happening only during night. Do you have heating/hw set off during night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Screeching from somewhere in plumbing- Megaflo? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back