Search the forum,

Discuss Saving Energy and using it pre-central heating boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scoobyscotlad

Ok, Dairy Farm here with a turbine connected for use of generated electricity.
Fairly simplistic home produced heat recovery system which heats water for free to 45c-50c depending on the season, using the return hot refridgerant gas to the compressors.Taking the heat out of the milk and putting it into the water.
Dairy boiler which is now heated twice a day for milk plant washing using our own generated power.
Originally thought to try and incorporate the 50c water into the central heating(standard oil warmflow combi boiler with hot water cylinder) but now thinking maybe replace the dairy boiler with something capable of warming a coil plumbed into radiator circuit?
If boiler is fairly constantly close to 85c(necessary for milk plant sanitisation) would it keep a moving flow of water in a coil in boiler at maybe 65c?
Maybe completely off the rails.....

Absolutely.. the design you wish to use.

(Not the completely off the rails part)

Scoo,

You need to look at all your energy inputs and outputs and then decide if throwing the waste heat away is the cheapest way out in the end, best to get someone in to put a package together but it must have a payback, I take you are pasteurising heating the milk up and then cooling it down, if you are producing your own power for a water turbine your are not paying for it, so you need to think seriously about investing in any energy saving measures.

Hey don't get me wrong my work now is all about saving clients energy but mainly to reduce running costs, if I read you right you are not buying in any power, unless you are a tree huger gone wrong, then think again.

Love to hear more about what you are doing, I have just completed a barley grass growing shed fully air conditioned growing barley in 7 days to a full height of 10"

Tony

Collect all the slurry from the shed floor, dilute and ferment in anaerobic digester. Scrub gas coming off and put into a Perkins genny. Use genny coolant to heat unvented . Free leccky and gas

Collect all the slurry from the shed floor, dilute and ferment in anaerobic digester. Scrub gas coming off and put into a Perkins genny. Use genny coolant to heat unvented . Free leccky and gas

How many cow patties would it take to achieve this?

Been to a few dairy farms in my time and know how many slushy, fermenting, steaming patties can be excreted during milking time.

Generally depends on quality of digester. If he's pasteurising own milk would think he's got 100 + beasts. Throw in horse / stable clean outs . Avoid pigs as cells contain lots of bacteria and can kill off the anerobic stuff. 10kg of fresh guinea poo 12% slurry will get bacteria going like mad.

Try and run a few small digesters opposed to one huge one. Will need a pre heat in winter.

Wow,
Didn`t expect to digress to Anorobic Digestion!
Was more thinking to replace dairy boiler with a thermal store, which would be fed with 50c water, recovered from the bulk tank refridgerant gas heat. No pasteurising taking place, purely the result of taking milk from 27c down to 3c!
Thermal store to have 2 coils,one or our central heating loop and 2nd for future connection to other farmhouse.
Heating Element(s?) using turbine(wind) generated electricity to take from 50c up to 65-70c.
Not allowed to upload diagram for some reason...

Scoo,

You come onto this site come on at your peril, expect to have your mind blown with the depth of technology, but ask someone how to replace a ball-tap washer then you are on the wrong site, we are technos geeks here and we know it. You are the same as me I can't upload and pictures or drawings any more, not that techno hey... still, I have not got a clue what you are trying to do, but there you go, what do I know 55 year in the trade, a degree in Centigrade and Fahrenheit, been designing heat transfer and heat reclamation projects for the last 35 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Saving Energy and using it pre-central heating boiler. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock