Search the forum,

Discuss safe gas card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flat pack

Hi can a gas safe card holder with out METER on there card work on
boilers cookers fires heaters pipework ?

Or on the other hand a gas safe card holder who only has METER work on
boilers cookers fires heaters pipework ?

surely these must all be taken at the same time

or you need two plumbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, no, yes and yes. You can only work on appliances that you are qualified for and downstream pipework i.e. core ACS + modules, pipework only if thats all your qualified for and meters only if thats all your qualified for.

If you look on the back of the Gas Safe operatives card it will list appliances they can work on - if it's not on there then they can't do it .You don't have to do everything at same time - I haven't got a meter or warm air ticket but if I wanted to I could do the assessments and upon passing I'm sure my card would be updated to show this.

the problem being if you are soldering a gas pipe meter has to be isolated so you would need met1 theoretically

Hi so jonathanb don't have METER, so how do you do a sound test?
or connect to gas meter and test???

I'm allowed to - I can work downstream of the meter but not upstream, so can cap meter and work away.

Of course after disconnecting installation pipework from meter and using a temporary continuity bond ! Sorry guys am I missing the point here?

You only need the meter qualification to exchange or move meters. Core gas safety is sufficient for disconnecting, reconnecting, and tightness testing.

Mike

Thanks for putting it simply Mike - thats the point I was trying to get across.

What a "fol-de-roll", perhaps if they went back to testing for "gas fitting" knowledge with everything in one module, we would be better off.

But would it be too expensive done that way?

As far as I am concerned I feel they could do it easily enough, there does not seem to be all that much in each module. Am I only saying that because I have been doing it for years? I don't know.

I suppose though people may baulk at having to be tested on things they are not going to use.

I often wonder though at some hundreds of pounds a module, could not the price of training and testing be brought down?

Anyway who chose the testing price structure anyway?

The colleges not the market, that seems a bit unfair.

What we need is an operative and self employed champion, who would ask the colleges about it, at the moment we just have to pay whatever is asked or perhaps be put out of work.

Perhaps if we reversed the roles a bit and formed into training and testing groups then asked the colleges what price they charged for block bulk training?

Lets hope the GasSafe scheme changes things. I feel it might, for by inspecting work done, instead of relying on certification under ideal conditions, it usually gives a good idea of what a person can or can not do.

And lets be honest that is all a compliance module usually consists of.

And lets be honest
that's a good word
FOR new plums they need training,,plus gas safe.
For people in the trade for 20 years or so should only need gas safe for what it is.
like it was in 1996 they come to your house ,then go to your job with or with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to safe gas card in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock