Search the forum,

Discuss Running HW only, disconnect CH system, Combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

d~ave

Hi,

First post so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I am planning to have my radiators removed whilst the house is re-plastered / skimmed. I have a microbore single valve radiator system thoughout which means I cannot isolate individal radiators. To remove a radiator I need to drain the whole system. When I do this I will loose the pressure in the boiler, and the use of the hot water (shower / sinks) which is fine for one day, but not the 2 weeks its going to take to the plasters.

Is it possible or safe to keep the pressure in the combi boiler by closing the CH out and return from the boiler (i.e. isolating the CH loop) and just run the hot water system with the CH system disconnected. This could be the case for 2 / 3 weeks before the radiators are re-installed.

If it helps I have a worcester 24i combi and 9x single valve yorkshire radiators.

Thanks for any help and suggestions

Dave

i would create a loop of pipework between the boilers flow and return a couple of meters long and fill back up leaving your iso valves open. your boiler will need to be able to circulate the water in the heating side at a guess.

i would create a loop of pipework between the boilers flow and return a couple of meters long and fill back up leaving your iso valves open. your boiler will need to be able to circulate the water in the heating side at a guess.

Good advice...i installed a boiler in a chinesse takeaway a few years ago where all the guy wanted was hot water at that time until he had bought the flat upstairs. I seem to remember i needed a minimum of 2 meters of pipe of the boiler and a radiator for circulation.

Unless you know what youre doing you will need an engineer. This should not be done in speedfit as a minimum of 1m of copper pipe is required from the boiler.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Luckly I have a 'normal' rad with a drain valve in the system that does not need removing. Will leave the single rad connected with the loop open. All non-required rads are being removed and valves temporarily closed with a 3/4" end fitting. Just hope they go back on as easily as they come off LOL.

Id been quoted 500 to convert my 9 single valves to double valves with TRV etc inc. parts and labour so may have to put that on hold until the cash flow improves.

Thanks again for advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Running HW only, disconnect CH system, Combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock