Search the forum,

Discuss RF Training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Morton

just booked with RF
got a package deal as i wanted both plumbing and gas qualification

8 week residential course for the NVQ level 2 Diploma in heating and plumbing 6189 - 11

then get a week off and then

4 week residential course for BPEC gas foundation, with guaranteed work placement and all the ACS training and assessment so i will be able to register on the gas safe register

and a 4 day course so i get the Part P, electrician training for plumbers

and the package includes hotel accommodation for the duration in the week

and a tool kit with all the tools for the course

cost me Ā£8000 for the lot, which i though was a bagain as all the other courses i can find on the net want atleat
5k for the plumbing nvq
4K for gas
800 for the part p
plus accommodation.....ect

now im getting these all at once as my dad died recently and has left me some money and he all-ways told me to get a trade...instead i done worthless microsoft certification and haven't worked in IT since i was made redundant in 2008,

once qualified i will hopefully join a big firm and gain some experience. i was speaking to someone who has just finished the same courses at RF and he said he was offered a job at 40K a year the week after completing these courses with no experience just the papers

so what im asking is, does anyone know about RF? since ive just spunk-ed 8k and have 7 days to cancel i thought i would ask....

any advice or opinions would be appreciated

James

Last edited by a moderator:
For 8k I'd of looked into it more first nice first informative post though , welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forum James.

It'll be interesting to hear about you experiences in this course. Dunno about anyone being a 40k job the week after completing the course tho.
If you're still in contact with the person, find out if the job materialised and how are they doing on it.

I wish you well but how can you get nvq without on site visits ?

You can't get a NVQ without training as an apprentice, and 8k spent on an 8 week course will not make you a plumber, and no one will employ you without experience. This is gospel. Save your money and use it to live on while you do an apprenticeship if you really want to be a plumber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Its a joke right!

Do people still believe these scams!

If I were you, I would be cancelling courses quickly - plumbing takes years to learn, and it can be quite a miserable job, if you don't know what you are doing.

well io was under the impression that companies take people on who have the qualifications and little experience as it saves them paying for it or am i wrong? or i can see how how it much different top going college to get ur nvq and then joing a firm to get experience, honest opinions guys

thanks

College experience counts for nothing in my opinion, employers want someone who fits the bill, hard working, punctual etc regardless of whether they've done thier college or not. Don't waste your money.

gonna cancel it, just called the bloke - thanks for your honesty guys

No problem, now pick up that yellow pages and ring every damn plumber in it!

yeah, i will have a sit down and work out what I'm gonna say, suppose its a simples as this
im 26, have 3 years experience as a chippys mate, dead keen to learn........i live in Stevenage in hertfordshire - full driving liecence, incase anyone on here is interested......

just shows you.....bullsh1t you can buy by the ton, but honesty is priceless

Good luck to you mate, I'm the same age but got an earlier start. My dad didn't start his apprenticeship until he was 30' it's never too late, just don't be sucked into these two Bob money making rip offs. Stress the point in your calls that you know the money won't be great and you just want to learn and don't mind getting your hands dirty too. And if you're sure this is what you want to do then don't give up! Maybe pop in to some of your local plumbers merchants and ask around there too.

I trained there and thought it was brilliant.

The sales stuff is over the top and not 100% honest (as indicated by previous posts). I'm one of the few (there are others on the forum who've been as successful) who went on to being self employed since the course.

I feel I had a different attitude. I researched first of all by looking in the phone book for the number of plumbers in the area (not many around my parts). What made my decision was before I became a plumber I called 18 of the locals to do a day's job the next week. 16 never phoned back, one said he could but would prefer to do it the week after and I used the cowboy who charged Ā£400 for the day and left me with a wonky HTR, unlevel first fix for a shower and a non soldered joint. I could have done better.

I walked into great jobs for my first couple of months then picked up a five bathroom job. Cleared my costs about six months later. Then it went quiet. Really quiet. Odd tap here and there, a radiator move and stuff like that for another six months or so. Then, best of all, I met a plumber who wanted some help but didn't want to train me on how to solder or the difference between hot and cold water. He taught me loads and we worked together on many jobs (and still do from time to time). There was so much to learn (which I had assumed before the course.)

A training course is like the driving test. It's only after passing that you learn to drive. This is exactly the same with plumbing. They teach you to turn off the stop tap. They don't teach you how to turn the tap off that you can't reach properly and that doesn't turn. The old adage of "You can't get a job without experience and you can't get experience without a job" applies very much to the plumbing world. An employer has choice these days and will always choose the experienced person and won't worry about qualifications too much. (Ditto for a builder, electrician, etc.)

The training is excellent at RF - finding a job/being successful afterwards is much more difficult. The Ā£8k is only the training. A van will cost, as will tools and some stock, public liability insurance and so on. You'll be looking at around Ā£12-Ā£15k in your first year and that's a huge amount of taps to fix (which will be most of your first jobs).

Not trying to put you off - just some meat on the bones of what others have said earlier - and a dose of reality.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!!

I trained there and thought it was brilliant.

The sales stuff is over the top and not 100% honest (as indicated by previous posts). I'm one of the few (there are others on the forum who've been as successful) who went on to being self employed since the course.

I feel I had a different attitude. I researched first of all by looking in the phone book for the number of plumbers in the area (not many around my parts). What made my decision was before I became a plumber I called 18 of the locals to do a day's job the next week. 16 never phoned back, one said he could but would prefer to do it the week after and I used the cowboy who charged Ā£400 for the day and left me with a wonky HTR, unlevel first fix for a shower and a non soldered joint. I could have done better.

I walked into great jobs for my first couple of months then picked up a five bathroom job. Cleared my costs about six months later. Then it went quiet. Really quiet. Odd tap here and there, a radiator move and stuff like that for another six months or so. Then, best of all, I met a plumber who wanted some help but didn't want to train me on how to solder or the difference between hot and cold water. He taught me loads and we worked together on many jobs (and still do from time to time). There was so much to learn (which I had assumed before the course.)

A training course is like the driving test. It's only after passing that you learn to drive. This is exactly the same with plumbing. They teach you to turn off the stop tap. They don't teach you how to turn the tap off that you can't reach properly and that doesn't turn. The old adage of "You can't get a job without experience and you can't get experience without a job" applies very much to the plumbing world. An employer has choice these days and will always choose the experienced person and won't worry about qualifications too much. (Ditto for a builder, electrician, etc.)

The training is excellent at RF - finding a job/being successful afterwards is much more difficult. The Ā£8k is only the training. A van will cost, as will tools and some stock, public liability insurance and so on. You'll be looking at around Ā£12-Ā£15k in your first year and that's a huge amount of taps to fix (which will be most of your first jobs).

Not trying to put you off - just some meat on the bones of what others have said earlier - and a dose of reality.

Whatever you choose, best of luck!!

it can work james as DKIA says but as clint says "DO YOU FELL LUCKY"

look around your area is it a case of every other van is aplumbers ? if so what going to stand you out.

eg good old BOD aka moi . i have commercial - lpg - were all crb checked - Ā£5m insurabce etc etc etc

Probably stating the obvious, but they've gone bust - they are trying to start up again, still using the RF Training brand, but please be careful - according to companies house records Blythedale Limited (who traded as RF Training) went bust owing Ā£1.3M, nearly Ā£400K of that is owed to people who either paid a deposit or in full for training that was never delivered. They might get their money back if they paid by credit card, but otherwise - tough.

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Good luck mate, mean it.
However all those promises your given? Especially 40k for literally a BRAND NEW 'out of time' apprentice? Ive been out my time for 8yrs and dont scratch near that (im up north not south)

Worked with various companies and they pay you what they think your worth. You'll have to be fully competent on various systems. Theses courses WONT SHOW YOU, they will teach you BASICS.

On a negative note: be ready for ALOT of different jobs since theres too many plumbers about now and get ready to be in and out of work. You wont have many of your limbs left, especially all the scars/burns on your hands!

On a positive note: every jobs different, you've got a trade for life - however every1s jumping on the bandwagon

Makes me sound like a butcher lol i mean knees with be broke, back will be broke
Amount of time hitting my head lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to RF Training? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock