Discuss Required ventilation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Am I right in thinking that a gas fire which is less than 7kw does not need any other ventilation other than adventitious air???

I thought it was 5kw, as in the same for wood burning stove as gas fire as per pasted below, though someone will come along soon and put me right:):

If the output of your stove is greater than 5kW then you do need permanent ventilation to the room. There is no stipulation in the building regulations as to the type of vent that must be used however examples would be air bricks, core drill vents etc. We stock a range of HETAS approved air vents in the
For stoves with outputs over 5kW the free area requirement of the vent is 550mm² per kW over and above 5kW. So an 8kW appliance would have a free air requirement of 1650mm². The amount of ventilation required does vary for other types of appliance such as open fires or stoves with flue draught stabilisers, please contact us or your HETAS approved installer for advice.
A sufficient air supply for a solid fuel fired appliance is very important. It ensures that complete combustion of the fuel occurs and also allows the chimney to function correctly. An insufficient air supply can have serious consequences. Smoking will occur and also increased levels of carbon monoxide will be produced which can be life threatening.

And here's some further reading.
[DLMURL]http://www.radmidlands.co.uk/Downloads/VentilationDom.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends if its flueless or open flued.
Flueless no allowance.
Open flued 7kw adventitious allowance then 5cm sq per kw net above

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally speaking it shouldn't require a vent, but as already said read what the instruction manual says regarding this

As mentioned. Generally speaking it should not require purpose provided ventilation but this is subject to specific info from MI's as usual.

Over the years we have all used the phrase "open flued fire under 7kw NET HI DONT need addition permanent ventilation" however we should actually be saying "PROBABLY WONT," and can't be confirmed till I've done a spillage test, and it's passed, as we assume till we do the tests, and some get into a comfort zone with adventitious and don't check properly

Here's one for you kirkgas. New build, concrete floor, triple glazed and a 6.9 of fire. Passes spillage where's the adventitious ventilation coming from

Size of room.

Atouchofgas I don't know, other than erm's guess, but the bottom line is if the fire is working it's getting O2 from somewhere

If there wasnt oxygen then you wouldnt be able to breathe in the room ,, so unless the room is rubber sealed and inadequate size then it will always have oxygen lol

like erm said , trickle vents , even if triple glazing , airflow will always be accounted for in new builds , and if the joiners p00p there will be 30mm gap under door, ( really p00p joiner )

I know that it can get it from trickle vents etc etc, the reason I was asking was hypothetically as some new builds have air tight tests,

Just remember drains need to be air tested , but once test is done the vent pipes open to atmosphere, same with air test, certain parts will get covered and uncovered,

Depends on the fire, Fluless, Conventional, LFE, DFE and the Mi's instructions. Some of the DFE's require 100cmsq regardless of the 7kW. BS5871 parts 1 to 4.

easy to see if all the holes are sealed, there's mildew all over the walls :)

And page 76 to see what needs to have been done to get anywhere near 5M3/h/M2

Good point SH, but the main thing is to be aware of the requirements, and in a new home ascertain the degree of air changes. Have you not noticed that fireplace openings are now often boarded over?

Last edited:
Refer to section 1.4 in part F. Part F must not be read in isolation of other building regulations such a part J.

I was always told under 7kw need no vent UNLESS evidence of draft proofing. New houses are sticky because I always asked what's a new house? 2 year old, 5 or 10. Regardless of bs, MI always over rule anyways.

Refer back to post 22. For instance: BS5871 part 3 section 8.2 100cm2 ventilation shall be provided unless manufacturers state otherwise. There is ventilation for breathing and ventilation for fossil fuel burning appliances; they are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Required ventilation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have recently had a conservatory installed, covering the full length of the kitchen. I have just failed my gas safety inspection due to...
Replies
Views
I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m hoping for some perceptive / input as I’m a long-distance landlord trying to unpick the best thing to do. Gas safety certificate was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock