Discuss Replacing Walk-in shower with bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryWaite

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi

I went round to look at a job the other night for a customer who wants a bath in place of a walk in shower. The current setup is an opening of 1690mm with an electric shower on the wall, no shower tray, just a rubber floor covering on top of the concrete slab with an opening for a floor gully. The waste water goes from the floor gully through the slab, down a plastic pipe, which comes out under the wash hand basin, and goes to some sort of pumping unit, which pumps into the stack.

I have a few questions:

Would I be better getting a 1675mm bath rather than a standard 1700mm?

What is the standard procedure for blanking off/ doing away with the floor gully and the pumping unit? As I will probably be taking the bath waste outside.

And finally, the existing tiles are staying in the room, the bath will be getting pushed up against the tiles as opposed to the tiles sat on top (not ideal i know). what is the best way of sealing on top of the bath

regards

John

cut into wall to fit 1700 bath , looks horrid and a pig to replace when needed or use a smaller bath and make it look nice.

re floor gully, if the pump is coming off and its no longer used fill it in and leave under bath tidily blocked off.

silicone bath to wall, secure it as best as possible and a nice tidy silicone seal to finish edge off, when bath is full of water.

Thanks lame plumber :)

Do you know what the pumping units are called? ive seen saniflows for wcs but never for a shower.

Also, how does the pump know when to kick in? There wont be any electrics or float switches in the slab will there? It will all be in the pumping unit wont it? Is it linked in to the electric shower itself so that when the shower turns on, the pump turns on too, or does it work on float switches or something?

regards

john

I would say the gully is goona be redundent once you take the pump unit out which is gonna contain all your float switches etc , the one have have worked on before have flow switches inline on the water supply which in turn triggers the waste pump and it starts you would have to check on the suppply to see if there is anything like that in your situation

battern around the tiled wall to create a frame to support the bath edges as is normally done and you can create 3 layers of seal with silly-cone. one between the bath and battern the second between the bath and wall sides and then a final finish seal as normally seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Walk-in shower with bath in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock