Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing radiator and draining systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Evening,

I will be changing a radiator in my downstairs toilet. Looking for advise on best order to drain and fill system and any potential issues with doing this. I have gravity fed system.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Same size you can just turn off radiator valves, drain just that rad, replace and open valves.

If you’re tweaking pipework then turn off heating system, isolate mains, drain till no water comes out of rad valves you’re working on, do your pipework, replace rad, refill and deal with any potential airlocks

In this order. Turn off boiler let system cool down. Attach hose to lowest drain off point. Turn off supply to he little tank in roof. Open drain off and let water out. Beware that the rad you want might not drain f it’s dropped with no drain off. When dirty water stops undo valves at either end of rad. Lift and pull off one end drain into washing up bowl or if enough space flip it upside down with bleed closed. Dump in garden.
Play plumbers and fit new rad, open valve to little tank again test with clean water drain again and add inhibitor into the little tank . Fill up bleed everything inc. pump lowest rad 1st highest rad last. Switch system on, check for leaks again, crack open a beer get thanked by wife ..centralheatking

Reply to Replacing radiator and draining systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one on the existing brackets, and reconnect the existing valves, and then top up. Would draining the entire system be necessary? If draining is not...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
I want to replace a radiator that has a drain valve. Do I need to replace like for like and keep the drain valve in or can I replace with a thermostatic valve?
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock