Discuss Replacing CH pump query also am i being too soft on customer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year. I managed to book the 'work' days off to spend with my family but managed to get a few private jobs squeezed in here and there so it turns out that I pretty much made the money for the time off with a few little jobs spread around. (Can make a normal days money in a couple of hours on a private job :dizzy2:). Ok one job I had was a boiler service and gas fire service on new years day. All working ok and everything fine but the CH pump and valves looked worse for wear, the customer originally called to say he thinks he needs a new pump as he thought it wasn't working. He is 90 years old and almost deaf. I told him it's working fine but it has shown signs of leaking. He said it has been in for 12 years. He said for me to just service the boiler and fire but asked if I think the pump should be replaced, I said it might be wise to replace it so he asked me to get him a price. It will mean a full drain down and it's on a 1 pipe system so I imagine could be a nightmare filling up, as it's working would it be fair to replace the pump and valves or just replace the valves to keep the cost to the customer down? It's the same amount of work either way. Secondly it's a Grundfos 15/50 I have a 15/60 pump sitting around gathering dust would this be an ok replacement or would it have to be a 15/50, would it make a big difference? Thank. Not sure why when typing on this forum I am unable to separate paragraphs.

In the reply box just above the 'In' in this sentence there is a box with an a above an a. Click on that and you can type normally.

All the best. Servicing on a bank holiday, are you mad :)

15/60 will do, just might have to turn it down.

Cost wise, it will cost you at least 80 plus vat to replace it. Which i charge out at 126 inc. How about renting a freeze machine to change the valve and pumps?

In the reply box just above the 'In' in this sentence there is a box with an a above an a. Click on that and you can type normally.

All the best. Servicing on a bank holiday, are you mad :)

15/60 will do, just might have to turn it down.

Cost wise, it will cost you at least 80 plus vat to replace it. Which i charge out at 126 inc. How about renting a freeze machine to change the valve and pumps?

Thanks for the heads up now I can type normally again.

The customer called new years eve and made out they had no heating so felt as though I should go new years day. Was not overly impressed when I arrived new years day and it was all fine but can't afford to be turning down work. Also it was my first job from an ad in the one of the local parish magazines. :)

I have a pump sitting about that I can use, bought it for a job about 18 months ago but never used it so will use it here, hopefully it is ok being a 15-60. Looking on screwfix the pump is just under ÂŁ110 including, not sure if anywhere else do them cheaper.

I have never used a pipe freezing kit but that is an option, Just worried I will mess it up but it would make the job much quicker if it all goes ok.

What sort of prices would you guys be charging for this job?

And would you all recommend the pump change or just do the valves?

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/rothenberger-rofrost-rapid-pipe-freezing-kit/1221f

Is this any good?

I bet you a pound to a pinch of shish kebab that if you change just the valves, the pump will go wrong within a month or two.

Old pumps are incredibly sensitive to the environment they are in. Change a flow rate, pressure, orientation, ANYTHING and it takes the pump out of its groove, and it dies in the next few weeks.

I have something similar, its ok for small 10 and 15. Havent used it for 22 or 28, but would imagine it will be heavy on the tins. Plus i wouldnt like to do a double freeze on 22 with it.

to be honest, if youve never used a freeze kit then i would hire the electric freeze machine from Hss or hire it or somewhere. it gives you all the time you need. use spray cans and you only get about 20 mins before the ice plug goes and you flood the place. Also bear in mind using an 18month old pump, if it fails in the next few months, they will come back to you and you will have to buy a new one and fit it at your cost!!!
just give hime a price for a new pump, valves, freezer hire and your time and see what he says.

happy new year to you too.:50:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing CH pump query also am i being too soft on customer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock