Discuss Replacing 1m length of sewer pipe with suspected cement blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seanog

Hi, I want to replace an approx. 1 meter section of underground sewer drain where I hope to locate a blockage of dried cement (from a new extension building project). MY question is what would the exact procedure be, if for example, the pipe is 15 cm in diameter. Would I just use a 1 meter length of new 15 cm dia. pipe, connected with Fernco connectors? I was wanting to avoid any "lips" at the joints which may slightly impede flow. Thank you.

The exact procedure, imo, would be to get someone who knows what they are doing to sort it out and you recoup the cost from whoever blocked the pipe with cement.

if you can rod the drain to see how far the blockage is mark out on the ground where the pipe run is and get digging.
clear out say 1.5m of the pipe so you can get round it use two rubber slip collors and 1m pipe cut and clean adges of pipe then re rod the pipe from the hole to see if you missed any blockage lube up the pipe fix the pipe in place with slip collers 2/3 bags of gravel round the pipe back fill done

Have a cctv survey first to find out what the exact problem is.

if you can rod the drain to see how far the blockage is mark out on the ground where the pipe run is and get digging.
clear out say 1.5m of the pipe so you can get round it use two rubber slip collors and 1m pipe cut and clean adges of pipe then re rod the pipe from the hole to see if you missed any blockage lube up the pipe fix the pipe in place with slip collers 2/3 bags of gravel round the pipe back fill done
When you say "slip collars", do you mean fernco flexible rubber couplings? Actually, I haven't started digging yet, and don't know exactly what material the drain pipe is made of. My question basically is would the flow be impeded a bit, over time, by the slight gaps at the ends of the inserted pipe. Please see drawing of my proposed solution. Thank you.

Attachments

• Fernco_connectors.jpg
    Fernco_connectors.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 70
no if fitted right its a black rubber coller with two jewberlee clips to tighten up use a light file to clean the pipe some washing up liquid to lube the collers up are you 100% it needs digging out have you tried rodding it or calling out some one to look first

if it needs digging up after this then do it your self will save abit of cash this way where in the world are you

Actually, this is a friend's house. A CCTV camera has already been down there, but seemingly with inconclusive results. Apparently the images were too unclear...Yea, the black rubber collar, I think is the same as a Fernco flexible connector. It has 2 stainless steel jubilee clips at both ends - a rugged rubber "sleeve". So you think if I file the ends of the pipes to, maybe 45 degree angle, it would improve the flow of waste water? Actually, it's a Victorian house in Dublin. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can only follow whats there if you cut out 1m pipe you can only put back a 1m pipe so it will sit in the same place the old one did

you can only follow whats there if you cut out 1m pipe you can only put back a 1m pipe so it will sit in the same place the old one did
Yea, Got it. So, I assume I should make the new 1m of pipe as tight a fit as possible, and file the pipe edges a bit to improve water flow, right? Actually, what I'm thinking of doing, especially since I'm told there's no nearby manhole, is to open the pipe under the new extension, near to the back garden, then probe back "upstream" along the pipe to see if I can locate the blockage (at least then there's no chance of pushing the blockage towards the main sewer). In the case that the existing pipe is old clay type, I assume it would be ok to use another material, like pvc, to replace the pipe I cut out? As long as I use the appropriate flexible rubber collars with jubilee clips, I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing 1m length of sewer pipe with suspected cement blockage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock