Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Replacement close couple cisterns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

johnplum

Some sets are sold without spares support. Even expensive ones. I've got a new one with broken lid and cannot get a new lid
Are cisterns commonly interchangeable... For instance are there a few common patterns to the coupling layout?
Seems like its hit and miss.
John.

Last edited by a moderator:
Concealed cisterns are worth spending a bit more on from a company thats been around a while. Cheap tends to come back and haunt you, especially with something designed to be hidden away.

I think he means close coupled.
If it's a new one surely whoever supplied should get a lid or whole new cistern.?
There isn't a few set patterns a lot are all different, what's the manufacturer?

The set is called 'Brent' and cost about £250 from Victoria Plumb. It's been lying around in its boxes for a year ordered by a plumber (unknown) for my elderly mother.

Victoria Plumb asked for my post code and said I don't have a customer account with them, and I say quite right, but nonetheless they are in business, still selling the same, and I want a spare.
They reply, they don't do spare parts, only under warranty, they order in large quantity blah blah blah....
So, I reply yes I know all that, and that is a poor service, just as is the fact I got an auto reply to my enquiry two weeks earlier, promising me an 'Agent' would contact me within 24 hours.
I said I'd throw it in the skip, and thanks.
They said check local suppliers.
I said I'm not a toilet sleuth and quite likely no one else supplies it. I'd be wasting time. Goodby.

Economy is hijacked by banking enterprise. It's rubbish.

A brief look on line confirms my suspicion about availability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get back onto the phone to VP and ask them to send a replacement, they will charge you but I can't really see a problem.

Victoria Plumb and customer service dont exactly go hand in hand. If they get the order spot on then its not an issue. If its wrong, god help you, cos vp wont :)

The more time goes on the more bad reports im hearing aswell simon, seemingly once youve purchased they dont give a hoot on fixing issues with faulty products, theyl loose loads of business and simply wont get any returning custards

Totally agree Kris. Plenty of custs over the moon with vp, no issues, delivered on time, no damage etc etc. Always find its the people who had an item missing or damaged that struggle to get a response.

There are two issues here.

Back in the day, the mould for the cistern shell, and the (separate but related) mould for the lid would be made together, work together and be scrapped together.

This gave the best possible match between cistern shell and lid, but it also meant that for a range that moved in serious volume, it was hard to get a "perfect match" because there might be several dozen paired moulds in existence and the chances of getting the "correct" lid was small.

In the last couple of decades, for volume items, automated casting has taken over from hand casting, particularly on the "easy" pieces like cistern shells and pedestals. Where you still get hand casting is on the very difficult pieces, or when the manufacturer is in a country with such low labour costs that automated ram-casting doesn't make economic sense. In theory this should make it easier to access a standardised lid. In reality, (and this is my second point) it has just brought more firms to market whose financial horizon is the end of the day, and who have no interest in satisfied customers.

Caveat emptor

Just as an afterthought, and for the benefit of other people reading through the thread, I can't understand why anyone would use any internet retailer for a bathroom whilst Eastbrook bathrooms are still in business. Just go to your local bathroom showroom or plumbers merchant and ask for an Eastbrook catalogue, and choose your bathroom safe in the knowledge that all the bits will fit together, spares will be available, and although you can't buy it direct yourself, your local Eastbrook reseller has a powerful incentive to look after you.

Just as an afterthought, and for the benefit of other people reading through the thread, I can't understand why anyone would use any internet retailer for a bathroom whilst Eastbrook bathrooms are still in business. Just go to your local bathroom showroom or plumbers merchant and ask for an Eastbrook catalogue, and choose your bathroom safe in the knowledge that all the bits will fit together, spares will be available, and although you can't buy it direct yourself, your local Eastbrook reseller has a powerful incentive to look after you.
Well said Ray! Here here.[emoji122]

If you look at it from Victoria plumbs side.
You have no proof of purchase!
its a year old.!
they have no record of sending it to your mother, as it was probably bought by the plumber!

looks like bite the bullet time and pay for another.

Thanks for the tip on eastbrook.
VP flatly refused to offer a (paid) replacement lid. I'll ask a again for cistern and lid.
The point about matched lids and casting is a good one.
I do expect spares of the set though, at least, not bowl as well.
The point about no record of sale, being bought by a plumber, well of course that will happen. Needn't affect ordering spares., methinks. it's unwillingness and an excuse.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement close couple cisterns in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock