Currently reading:
removing old soil pipe...tough !

Discuss removing old soil pipe...tough ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

k13wjd

SANY1125.JPG

i was planning on removing this old soil pipe, and replacing it with a longer new one...but it simply WILL NOT MOVE.....

any ideas ????

You could tell just by looking at it that it was solvent. btw it is terrain.

Just solvent the new pipe into it.

Lennie.
I know you are not qualified but learn your materials a bit better. A flexcon to join a 4" plastic ffs. Use a collar.

The flex was if he couldn't get a fitting in, was that not right?

The flex was if he couldn't get a fitting in, was that not right?

You could use it but it would look bad. It is not the right thing for the job.
You would use a single or double socket. Preferrably a single as you wouldn't need to chamfer the edge of the pipe in an awkward place.

Next time you are in the merchants lift a load of brochures on different materials and have a read through. Drain center usually have lots.
You will learn a lot from them.

I will thanks. The nearest drain center is 100 mile away in inverness but I could get them to send me some catalogues. thanks tamz

I forgot you were up in the wilderness :D

Go on the internet and get them sent out from everyone you can think of.

Marley
Osma
Polypipe
Terrain
McAlpine
Hunter
Timesaver

etc etc.

You may think all manufacturers do the same stuff but they don't.

when i was in grahams, i looked at a HEP coupling fitting...£££££ seriosuly overpriced, £23 iirc.

so glad i didn't use a flexi like i was first told 2 weeks ago - i'm hearing horror stories now....

Re: removing old soil pipe...tough ! update with pics...more help needed !

right then, 1 tub of solvent clean, and one tub of solvent. Measured up, double checked, made woodwork for pipe supports....re-checked measurements...CUT.

Now, it does fit in the right place, but its facing the roof !!!!

look for yourself.
New pipe in ( dry)
SANY1141.JPG

New 90 degree elbow in, no seal ATM
SANY1142.JPG

Bottom of unit shimmed - very close to the thickness of my tiles.
SANY1143.JPG

Again, shimmed out from the wall by the thickness of a tile.
SANY1144.JPG

and WAYHEY, its like a flume !!!!
SANY1145.JPG

the nice hole in the panel lines up perfectly with the output of the pan ( when the toilet is shimmed by the same as the unit.

so then, whats my options ??? Flexi from the pan into the 90 ( 2.5 ;-) ) bend, with a short peice of soil pipe ?????

any advice welcome guys. I genuinely appreciate everyones help with this.

oh, copper is already done, as i mentioned, i just finished my own CH system, from scratch.

i'm sure i have a 104 degree pan connector about - i'll go work out the angle of dangle of that pipe first.

i guess i had better go figure out the "angle of dangle"

10 cm over 50 cm, 90deg at one corner, = 78.5 degrees....

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a few options depending on what you fancy doing.

The pipe is rising through the unit at too steep an angle so.

1. You could cut the hole lower at the bottom of the unit to allow the pipe to drop. It will then go on with a std pan connector. There is a bit play on them.
2. Get a terrain ringseal adaptor (109) and fit it to the branch instead of gluing it. This will allow a slight deflection at the joint and get you up an inch or so.
3. Get 2 x 45 deg bends inserted to each other and make an offset which could be turned slightly to the side to give the correct height.
4. Get an 11.5 deg bend (only available as drain ie orange) and fit it into the 90. This will straighten the pipe coming through the unit.
5. Use a flexi

An angled pan connector is 14 degrees. It won't be any use to you unless you want to sit the pan on a stool (pun intended) :D

180-78.5 = 101.5 degrees to horizontal.

not100% sure of what angle pan connectors are out there....104 will fit though,right?

the hole in the unit lines up with the output of the pan.....how many degrees will a std pan connector tolerate before it becomes an issue???

A 14 degree connector will not do. The connection would be about 3 - 4" higher than it should be where it connects to the pan.

The easiest is a flexi.
The best is probably use an 11.5 deg drainage bend into the 90 or cut the unit to allow the pipe to drop.

Mcalpine 45 degree pan connector ? Probably too much (angle)
Why is it they never make the 11 1/2 , 22 etc in soil colours ?
Having gone to all this trouble dont you dare use a flexi ;)
Must admit on these back to unit WC s we normally cut a slot to the ground, if you are carefull you can remove the back panel with the WC pulled forward an inch , can be useful for checkin joints. If you did this you could use straight pan connector probably

Last edited:
Why is it they never make the 11 1/2 , 22 etc in soil colours ? Though that one for years.
Having gone to all this trouble dont you dare use a flexi :D:D;)
Must admit on these back to unit WC s we normally cut a slot to the ground, This is what is normally done. if you are carefull you can remove the back panel with the WC pulled forward an inch , can be useful for checkin joints. If you did this you could use straight pan connector probably
A slot means the panel can normally be removed without removing the pan if access is ever needed.

i'll re-cut the hole, and look at the problem again. once again guys, thanks a million.

at least a nice slot will allow make fitting the flush pipe nice and easy, and i'll be able to take a look at it, to ensure its "flush"

Re: removing old soil pipe...tough ! Updated AGAIN with photo's

Right then, i think i've cracked it.

Went out today and bought a selection of bends, and the best fit by far is a 15 degree single socket. Fits in nice !

so, i've remounted the unit, shimmed it all up, measured my pan etc, cut a nice peice of 110mm soil for pan connector to 15degree, offered it all up, and it fits like a sweetie. just a shame its orange ! Marked all the pipes with a pan, to ensure they are home in the socket, which they are.

SO, tonight i'll solvent weld that pipe to the soil stack - 24 hours before i can use it right ?? its osmo 1+2 solvent stuff i bought. i've given it a right good clean out..most of the old weld came out with the inside pipe. any tips for the new solvent weld ??? it seems like a giant airfix project !!!

as for the soil pipe i cut, i PRESUME the done thing is to put a nice chamfer on the cut end, so it slides nicely into the seal. i've done it anyway, so i hope it is !!!! all nice and smooth so it won't nick a seal.

as for the straight pan connector - having never fitted a loo, im not 100% sure what to look for in a good connector - so how does this one look....from screwfix IIRC. the seal is a nice tight fit in the 110mm soil pipe, and it seals well onto the pan outlet.

here's a few pics.

SANY1146.JPG

SANY1148.JPG

SANY1149.JPG

SANY1150.JPG

SANY1151.JPG

JUst make sure its all clean and grease free and away you go . Well done !

The bloomin 14 degree pan connector would have worked now ! LOL

Last edited:

well, i just solvent welded my first pipe - and i must say it went quite well, gloves on, parts cleaned, glue on both, stick in, twist a tad...and BINGO.

all i can say is WOW, that solvent weld is good gear.... i presume thats the stuff kids put in plastic bags and sniff ??? pretty strong stuff !

i'll leave it overnight, and re-assemble the unit in the morning, before christening it HMS poopalot.

well, i just solvent welded my first pipe - and i must say it went quite well, gloves on, parts cleaned, glue on both, stick in, twist a tad...and BINGO.

all i can say is WOW, that solvent weld is good gear.... i presume thats the stuff kids put in plastic bags and sniff ??? pretty strong stuff ! I don't think they have really discovered that one but you can get a bit of a dunt off it if you use it for a wee while with the door shut:eek:

i'll leave it overnight, and re-assemble the unit in the morning, before christening it HMS poopalot.

Well done for having a go. You got there eventually :cool:

cheers mate.

give me a week, and look for the threat entitled : How to i plumb a whirlpool bath ? Because thats next. Then its VERY nearly project finished, just need to get the tiler in, and hey presto, 1 central heating system, 1 fancy bathroom...total cost...£3k saving....likely about 3k !

Good idea to get a decent tiler in. Have a look at tilersforums and ask for a tiler in your area to get a good one. After that lot the whirlpool baths are a breeze. Just make sure you get your sparks to put the rcd in the right place!

Spark....

My entire fuseboard is protected by a 30ma RCD - and after some advice, i've utilised the mcb+feed from the old imersion heater( used to be in the bathroom ). As it happens, i have a spark mate who will check my wiring after it all...i'll be fitting a 6a pullcord switch in the roof for the whirlpool motor. everything is already earthed well, so not much to do. Besides, my mrs has a massive life insurance policy, so i'll "allow" her to use it before me !!! ;-)

as for tiler, the guy who will be doing the work, Though he doesnt know he got the job, was indeed a guy from tilersforum. Not only the cheapest, but a nice guy, got on well with my dog, gave me a flat £20/m2 rate, and then priced grout etc, and is happy to do the job over 3 days, rather than a rushed 2 days.

i haven't told him yet, but ts andy/the wright tiler

scott, you read my tilersforum posts !!
[DLMURL="http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/tiling-forum/38436-they-flat-enough-4.html#post391557"]Are they flat enough.... - Page 4[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to removing old soil pipe...tough ! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock