Discuss Removing/Disabling TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

freezing butt

Hi all,

I have just moved house and all the rads including the one in the passage where the thermostat is sited have TRV's fitted.

Our old house had good old fashioned radiators without TRV's and were hot all the time until we turned the stat down and that is what I would like to get back too in certain rooms.

So, my question is................can I disable a TRV without having to replace it so it is on/open all the time or do I need to replace the whole unit?

If the only option is replacement is it just a case of draining down, removing the TRV and replacing it with a conventional valve?

Any advice would be apprieciated, thank you in advance.

If your rooms aren't warming up it is that the system needs balancing and not the fault of the TRVs. With the TRVs on full it is the same as a manual valve fully open.

I know it's your call, but why do you want to do this?

Thanks for all the replies guys but as "doitmyself" asked why I will explain.

First of all all our rads are set to "max"

The system starts off fine once the timer kicks in, all rads become very hot, however in our lounge/dining area we have 2 x rads, once the temp starts to rise it seems they are battling each other to come on/go off, what tends to happen is the dining area rad is always boiling hot and it seems to me the lounge area rad can sense this temp and shuts down, however the room is still cold.

Also we have a rad at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top, as we all know hot air rises so what happens is the hot air from downstairs rises up so the rad at the top is always off because it is sensing the hot air coming up, however the hot air coming up the stairs is not enough to heat the upstairs landing.

Maybe they do need a balance, what is the best way to balance a system with these TRV on?

i suspect it just wants balancing. The TRV's should actually help the problems that you are expereincing not the cause of

fuzz

Thanks for all the replies guys but as "doitmyself" asked why I will explain.
Thanks. ;)

1. Do all your radiators have TRVs, or is there one rad without a TRV, where the wall stat is situated?

2. Are the TRVs set to max to try to overcome the problem or because the rooms are not warm enough?

3. The problem with the upstairs rad turning off too soon is unlikely to be due just to the hot air rising. You say that the landing is not hot enough, so the TRV should still be keeping the rad open.

4. Poor balance is very likely to be the cause of the problem.

what is the best way to balance a system with these TRV on?
Read How to balance a CH system for detailed instructions.

If your rooms aren't warming up it is that the system needs balancing and not the fault of the TRVs. With the TRVs on full it is the same as a manual valve fully open.

+1 WHPES is correct. unless the pin is partly jammed and they are stuck on say setting 3. Keep the trvs, they are your friend.

Just a thought, guys.
TRVs don't react directly to room temp, they sense the water temperature at the radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removing/Disabling TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock