Discuss Reliability of fault codes potterton in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Apologies, all. It seems that (what I thought) was a TRV on the UFH manifold is, in fact, a "TMV" (Thermostatic Mixing Valve). as oppose to a Thermostatic Radiator Valve (I got a clue when I Googled TRV and saw that the "R" stands for Radiator :) )

@ShaunCorbs yes, there's a TRV on the radiator that has the grey pipe going to it and I can remove and test anything you would like? Just let me know what you'd like me to do and I'll try it. Thanks :)

Remove the trv the rad will act like a bypass and the 125 shouldn’t appear

Shaun, isn't the existing ABV acting (if in fact its opening at 1.2 M) as a huge by pass all the time with UFH on?.

Last edited:
Remove the trv the rad will act like a bypass and the 125 shouldn’t appear

Shaun, isn't the existing ABV acting (if in fact its opening at 1.2 M) as a huge by pass all the time?.

Shaun, really clever solution! Thanks.

I've spoken to the plumber and he has assured me that I already have auto bypass valve fitted and I'm hoping to keep that TRV on that radiator as I spend a lot of time in that room (converted garage) as it has my computer in there and an exercise bike (I'll melt if I can't turn that radiator down!! :) )

What is the "M" referring to in 1.2M? Is that metres cubed relating to the flow? Could the setting on the ABV be the issue?

M = Meters, the ABV indexed setting is 0.1 to 0.5Bar which is 1 to 5 meters and as the pump head is always given in Meters (M) I just convert the ABV scale.
Regarding the garage rad, when you have the two systems on (and which subsequently trip) surely you have a number of other rads on? so one (garage) rad with a TRV should have little or no effect IMO.
That setting of 1.2M seems very low.

M = Meters, the ABV indexed setting is 0.1 to 0.5Bar which is 1 to 5 meters and as the pump head is always given in Meters (M) I just convert the ABV scale.
Regarding the garage rad, when you have the two systems on (and which subsequently trip) surely you have a number of other rads on? so one (garage) rad with a TRV should have little or no effect IMO.

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I have rads on through-out the house - albeit at different levels on the TRV's.

Something strange alright as ironically, the more the rad TRVs throttle in the more the set up tends to the UFH side (no trip). Is the ABV very hot on both sides of the pipework.
I think monitoring the boiler flow temperature later on will tell a lot, hopefully.

Also if the rad system is on alone then you can get huge deltaTs with no by pass and TRVs, my oil fired boiler regularly has a delta T of > 35C as I have no by pass fitted so again strange why your system doesn't trip on the rad system only.

Last edited:
Something strange alright as ironically, the more the rad TRVs throttle in the more the set up tends to the UFH side (no trip). Is the ABV very hot on both sides of the pipework.
I think monitoring the boiler flow temperature later on will tell a lot, hopefully.

Also if the rad system is on alone then you can get huge deltaTs with no by pass and TRVs, my oil fired boiler regularly has a delta T of > 35C as I have no by pass fitted so again strange why your system doesn't trip on the rad system only.
The full fault description of E125 is:
Circulation Fault (Primary Circuit)

Displayed in either of two situations:
- If within 15 seconds of the burner lighting the boiler temperature has not changed by 1°.
-If within 10 minutes of the burner lighting the boiler temperature twice exceeds the selected temperature by 30°. In these instances poor primary circulation is indicated.

So, are you saying that the DeltaT is the measurement for that second fault reason (If within 10 minutes of the burner lighting the boiler temperature twice exceeds the selected temperature by 30°. In these instances poor primary circulation is indicated.) ?

Can we just try removing the trv head for a day or two when you want either on will prove if there’s no flow eg no auto bypass on the primary’s

The full fault description of E125 is:
Circulation Fault (Primary Circuit)

Displayed in either of two situations:
- If within 15 seconds of the burner lighting the boiler temperature has not changed by 1°.
-If within 10 minutes of the burner lighting the boiler temperature twice exceeds the selected temperature by 30°. In these instances poor primary circulation is indicated.

So, are you saying that the DeltaT is the measurement for that second fault reason (If within 10 minutes of the burner lighting the boiler temperature twice exceeds the selected temperature by 30°. In these instances poor primary circulation is indicated.) ?
If it's the deltaT that its monitoring then yes, definitely a indication of poor circulation, but the actual wording doesn't say that, its says:
"the boiler temperature twice exceeds the selected temperature by 30°. In these instances poor primary circulation is indicated" which I interpret to mean that the boiler temperature must exceed the target or set point flow temperature by 30C, so if you have the boiler target (setpoint) temp set to 65C then the boiler flow temperature must exceed 95C before flagging this alarm/trip and perhaps this what is happening.

Reply to Reliability of fault codes potterton in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morco feb 24ed3 has a f1 fault code. The burner reading is fine. The fault is intermittent, sometimes the boiler won't ignite on either hot water...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant ecofit pure, we had it installed about 6 years ago so it's not an old boiler, a new pump was also fitted at the same time...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock