Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Recurring water hammer in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Tuli

Tuli New Member

Hi there,
    For a few years I've had a water hammer in a three storey victorian warehouse conversion. My solution so far was to turn down the water pressure, which works for the annoying sound but my water pressure is not satisfactory.
    Recently I've decided to try and tackle the problem, and after reading online I've tried a solution suggested in a few websites (turning the water supply off - turning all taps on from top to bottom - turning the water supply on - then turning all taps off from top to bottom).
    Problem solved! no water hammer while the pressure was at max. However, after about an hour and some weird sound from the pipes while a tap in the top floor was on, the problem is back.
    Does this mean air is entering the system somehow? if so where should i look for the air leak? and solution ideas?
    Many thanks,
    Tal

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You need an engineer to look at the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Turning your stoptap down does not reduce the pressure , it reduces the flow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

what exactly is happening to cause this water hammer, 9 times out of 10 its usually caused by a plumber who doesnt know what pipe clips are.
    I.E badly clipped pipes

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rob876

Rob876 Member

You could fit a water hammer shock arrestor