Search the forum,

Discuss Recurring drain blockages in tenement - any options? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it...

I've been getting regular (3 times a year) sewer fumes through shower & bleachy bubbles / gurgling in my toilet. I'm in a ground floor tenement flat, with four storeys above me. Had a CCTV survey of drain last week and no structural issues found that would cause the problem. Instead, every time it's been fixed there's been one of the usual culprits: tampons, sanitary towels, wet wipes etc. I've tried sending letters & leaflets to the people living above me warning them about non-flushable items, but nothing changes. Unfortunately it includes student flats so there's new tenants every year.

The diagram attached shows my setup: shower/sink drain with manhole (red dot); toilet drain connecting to stack above ground with no access point (blue dot); these two pipes connect underground and then there's a manhole deeper into the garden (yellow dot) where they connect with the same setup for my next door neighbours.

The guy who did CCTV basically said there's not much I can do. As long as the twats above me keep blocking the drains, I'm gonna live the consequences. He said that a non-return valve could be installed to the toilet (and another one to the shower?), but he didn't recommend it. Couldn't pin him down on why but he didn't seem to trust them. Also presumably that'd involve tearing out my relatively new bathroom. So not a great scenario.

But I HAVE to do something because the fumes are affecting my asthma & sometimes giving my toddler headaches. Can anyone weigh in on the following options so I can just make the best of a bad situation?

1. Install access point on the toilet stack, which should allow me to clear blockages myself with a rod / hose? (Until now they've been cleared by operatives opening the yellow manhole, which is always after the blockages. Would direct drain access from behind the blockages be easier to clear?) Been quoted £250 for this inc VAT.

2. Non-return valves in drain? I've seen this product Non-Return Valves - Flexseal - https://www.flexseal.co.uk/product/non-return-valves but the operative said the manholes are too small for them to be installed. Pix attached - do you agree? And what about a product that would go in my elbow above ground linking to the stack? (Bad idea in case of failure?)

3. Non-return valves in the bathroom? Would I need to rip out my toilet and shower and start again or are there products for an easier solution? Pix of toilet & shower attached. The shower is the worst offender for smell, but if I NRV that plug surely the fumes will just escape from my bath & sink plugs?

4. Kill my neighbours? XD

I'm resigned to unblocking the drains manually every few months so I'm pretty sure I'll get that access point installed. Hopefully there's just something else I can do to keep these fumes away from my family?! They're really vile in a small flat :(

Thank you!

Attachments

• drain setup.jpg
    drain setup.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201005_091030.jpg
    IMG_20201005_091030.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20201005_102715.jpg
    IMG_20201005_102715.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20201005_102737.jpg
    IMG_20201005_102737.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20201005_105301_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_105301_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20201005_105255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201005_105255_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Are you sharing the cost of the cctv and fixes with the other flats, because I think you should, then when it starts costing them, they may start changing their habits

Are you sharing the cost of the cctv and fixes with the other flats, because I think you should, then when it starts costing them, they may start changing their habits

I hear you, but sadly not! The way shared repairs are handled in Edinburgh tenements is pretty unfair & open to abuse. The council won't get involved unless there's a health & safety risk, so everything's basically left to neighbourly cooperation. Unfortunately it's mostly landlord-owned flats above me (at least 2 of whom live outside Scotland) and they just ignore payment requests. Council not interested in helping me chase them. On my last call they said, "Is there sewage coming into your flat? If there's sewage we can get involved". I said there's probably sewage particles in the fumes but... no luck :(

At the end of the day I'm the only ground floor flat so I'm the sucker who's got to get this sorted as best as possible. I'll stomach the £200 CCTV + £250 access point bill if it just means a less smelly life!

Last edited:

Reply to Recurring drain blockages in tenement - any options? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock