Search the forum,

Discuss recommended training body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anybody done a training course through Trade Qualified ? I am just about to sign up but before i do wanted a little advice. The course they offer - The PPC2 is the tech cert level 2 6129
domestic copper pipework installation c & g 6022
sanitary accomodation installation maintainance a design c & g 6032
water regs 1999
design installation a maintainance of power a gravity fed shower systems
unvented hot water storage systems
domestic electrical installer defined scope part p cert
cscs safety card
appointed first aider

it says i can then become a fully competent plumber ? obviously without the gas safe training.

there is no NVQ included in this course but they say its not neccesay ?? is this true or do I NEED it aswell ?
someone told me it was only if i wish to do industrial and commercial ? please any advice as want to get the right course before i begin thankyou

has anybody done a training course through Trade Qualified ? I am just about to sign up but before i do wanted a little advice. The course they offer - The PPC2 is the tech cert level 2 6129
domestic copper pipework installation c & g 6022
sanitary accomodation installation maintainance a design c & g 6032
water regs 1999
design installation a maintainance of power a gravity fed shower systems
unvented hot water storage systems
domestic electrical installer defined scope part p cert
cscs safety card
appointed first aider

it says i can then become a fully competent plumber ? obviously without the gas safe training.

there is no NVQ included in this course but they say its not neccesay ?? is this true or do I NEED it aswell ?
someone told me it was only if i wish to do industrial and commercial ? please any advice as want to get the right course before i begin thankyou

The recognised qual for a plumber is the NVQ2&3 or the soon to be diploma 2&3.
All the other bits are nice but not necassary

so you would recommend a course that has the NVQ included ? i see that a company called OLCI have the NVQ level 2 included but none of the other littler bits, and is also more expensive, its just so confusing hence why i wanted the unbias advice from plumbers in the job !

so you would recommend a course that has the NVQ included ? i see that a company called OLCI have the NVQ level 2 included but none of the other littler bits, and is also more expensive, its just so confusing hence why i wanted the unbias advice from plumbers in the job !

always go for the full qual, thats the NVQ

Alex, if you do a distance learning course, you need your head testing. The only reason a company does distance learning is because it's cheap for them to deliver and they make loads of money on it. What they are doing is saying "give us your money, we'll send you your books and you can teach yourself from home. Then, come and see us when you want to do some practical". If you think that's the way to train, good luck, you'll need it.

Another thing is that companies will say that if you want to do gas, you'll have to do a full plumbing course first (trying to get as much money out of you as they can). However, you do need to know how to bend copper pipe, solder etc. But, why do a full plumbing course if you want to get into gas? There are companies that will cover the main practical elements of the 6129, with some theory of course, but also teach you things you cannot read in a book. They'll do the 6132 gas course and then they'll put you out on work placement to get your portfolio done for your ACS.

I've been researching training for months and I've finally found something will suit what I'm after and get the qualifications I need. Some of the things I've been told by course representatives (salesmen) over the last few months is unbelievable and pretty shocking to be honest.

To be honest It baffles me that you can learn the unvented quals on fast track and then work on them in the real world . How much cash thay wanting for this course mate?

the course for the 6129 and then gas safe course with unvented etc comes to the best part of ÂŁ8500 !!!! although i am now looking at a training college where i may be eligible for a government grant although it will take longer, i am not bothered about the length of time to do the course as long as i can learn everything i need to learn, as you say, 8 - 10 weeks is a very short time to learn everything, then a further 6 months on an NVQ, after reading some of these posts even the seasoned plumbers are finding new challenges, so will have to see how it pans out !!

hello themyth3, i am very wary of these companies but all sound very attractive " become a lpumber in 6 months" my wife however has her doubts, any advice or recommended training bodies would be great as this is definately a career i want to choose, but i want the qualifications that mean something and where i can actually do some practical work instead of the, like you say distance learning that some of these courses offer

Last edited:
8.5k and no NVQ??
the unvented will cost approx ÂŁ150, water regs the same, cscs about ÂŁ100, first aid about the same, part p could be a few hundred quid (about 1k in total) the rest is a pile of crap apart from the 6129 which isnt the full qual but a good start. All just my opinion though

go to your local college and sign on there for a day release scheme over 4 years to get what was a level 2 tech cert and nvq 2, the level 3 tech cert and nvq 3 then do your acs gas quals. the local colleges are goverment funded and can sometimes help with the bulk of your fees, you need the technical training to understand what and how and the nvq training to gain and prove experience on site. so you are best to try and find someone to work with, and the new diploma scheme will probably insist on on job learning as well as classroom training. Dont pat private compaznies thousands when you can gain the quals cheaper elsewhere is my advise.

fuzzys advice on 150 for water regs etc is all well and good but you need the basics to understand what you need to do in the real world of plumbing with design and instillation and this takes time to learn and working with someone who already knows what they are doing. Remeber, nothings for free in this world and there are no shortcuts when trying to do a proffessional job.

I will be starting a BPEC Domestic Gas foundation course in September at the college and as a mature student it will cost ÂŁ1,605 (inc books and exam fee's). Its a part-time course 1 day a week (7 hours) for 26 weeks. After successfull completion, you progress to:

The BPEC/Core Gas Safety CCN1 Assessment is a 2 day course 16 hours studying (1 day open book exam theory and 1 day practical). The cost is ÂŁ390 all inclusive. After successfull completion, you progress to:

CEN1 Assessment Gas Central Heating Boilers - ÂŁ205
CKR1 Assessment Gas Cooking Appliances - ÂŁ205
HTR1 Assessment Gas Fires & Water Heaters - ÂŁ205

All Total cost: ÂŁ2,610

Recently i found out E-ON the energy company has a building service Acadmey and they do the same course as above for ÂŁ2,937.50 inc vat. Has anyone been through this course??

The BPEC Gas Passport Programme is delivered in 3 stages:
Stage 1 – Basic Gas Utilisation 8 weeks
Stage 2 - Core Gas Safety (CCN1) Training & Assessment 1 week
Stage 3 - Domestic Gas Appliances Training & Assessment 1 week

Included in this cost is:

* All of your off-the-job training which will be delivered in our centre
* Your placement with a qualified engineer
* Training and assessment of your CCN1 (Core Gas Safety)
* Training and assessment for CEN1, HTR1, CKR1 (domestic gas appliance) training and assessment
* All associated training materials
* Lunch
* Refreshments

Last edited by a moderator:
well i must thank every one for all their advice on the subject. I must say it has opened my eyes. I shall definately look into the option of going to a college to gain the NVQ level 2 and level 3,

go to your local college and sign on there for a day release scheme over 4 years to get what was a level 2 tech cert and nvq 2, the level 3 tech cert and nvq 3 then do your acs gas quals. the local colleges are goverment funded and can sometimes help with the bulk of your fees, you need the technical training to understand what and how and the nvq training to gain and prove experience on site. so you are best to try and find someone to work with, and the new diploma scheme will probably insist on on job learning as well as classroom training. Dont pat private compaznies thousands when you can gain the quals cheaper elsewhere is my advise.

fuzzys advice on 150 for water regs etc is all well and good but you need the basics to understand what you need to do in the real world of plumbing with design and instillation and this takes time to learn and working with someone who already knows what they are doing. Remeber, nothings for free in this world and there are no shortcuts when trying to do a proffessional job.

it wasnt advice, i was breaking down the costs to show how much it is really worth and hopefully pointing out that 8k is alot for what you get although it sounds alot at a glance

There is no college course that gives you a qualification that employer's want and there isn't a course that teaches you enough to be self employed, getting the nvq part is no cakewalk as hardly anyone is hiring and when they do its snapped up the moment it is advertised, don't wish to discourage you but there's some harsh realities surrounding this and companies offering courses for 8 grand will take your money and leave you in the same position, plus the ability to use a pipe bender.

I started a two year college course to get the 6129 cert as i was fed up working nights in a petrol station to get by, i finished the course back in july last year and i am still at the petrol station don't delude yourself that the course is a ticket to get a job.

There is no college course that gives you a qualification that employer's want and there isn't a course that teaches you enough to be self employed, getting the nvq part is no cakewalk as hardly anyone is hiring and when they do its snapped up the moment it is advertised, don't wish to discourage you but there's some harsh realities surrounding this and companies offering courses for 8 grand will take your money and leave you in the same position, plus the ability to use a pipe bender.

I started a two year college course to get the 6129 cert as i was fed up working nights in a petrol station to get by, i finished the course back in july last year and i am still at the petrol station don't delude yourself that the course is a ticket to get a job.

it is great to hear that from someone who has done it. qualified plumbers offer the same advice but are accused of closing the door on purpose or being negative. It is reality and hopefully your responces will carry more weight

can i just ask what the difference is between the 6129 and the 6128, i have found a college course which suits my needs but offers the 6128 instead of the 6129 ? i know they dont make me qualified in any way, but the 6129 links to the NVQ courses, is the 6128 the same.? I am not opting for any distance learning courses or courses which only last 8 weeks, i want to gain as much knowledge as possible before i even apply for a job, just need to know i am working towards the right quals, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to recommended training body in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock