Search the forum,

Discuss Radio frequency heating controls in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Are radio frequency heating controls any good or should I try to go for wired one's?

They are usually fine in a typical house. In some circumstances better than wired. In others, not so good. Should definitely be on the menu of things you can offer customers.

There seems to be a lot of demand for 'smart' systems these days. Not a fan myself but a lot of people like them and there's money to be made if you can install them and offer well-informed advice as part of the package.

Can you be more specific about what the job involves? How long is a piece of string, etc.?

3 zones, smart controls. House is two stories, old thick walls I think they're stone and concrete.
I'd say they'll be fine
Certainly easier than installing wiring if none already exists. Always worth doing a test before committing. Put a 13A flex and plug on the receiver[*] and plug it in near the proposed location. Take the sender up to the farthest point and check for correct operation and signal strength.

*Don't create a 'death lead'. Attach it to a small piece of plywood and sure the connections are properly shrouded and the flex is strain relieved. Get a sparks to assist if you're not sure. If you stick to one brand for installs it's useful to have a pair like this for fault finding.

I have experience with what I'm 90% sure was a Salus one (installed by others, but I ended up getting paid by the customer to rectify the fact that the wires were loose and fell out). Wiring it requires holding the receiver in one hand with the wires poking out of the wall, holding the cable cores in between two fingers of that same hand, and then use the screwdriver in the other hand. What a pain. No mounted terminal backbox, you see, so you're wiring something that doesn't stay still. Also customer had problems with a nearby house being on the same frequency and interfering. In fairness, the firm actually provided good technical support and enabled her to alter the frequency by giving her advice, something the original installer should have done really! Since then she's been happy.

Honeywell seem to come with easy to wire terminal backboxes so you wire the cables to a solid thing on the wall and only then mount the front: much more civilised an arrangement. However, a friend of mine recently had an HC60NG relay module (receiver) that I fitted less than 5 years ago fail on him. Which I'm not impressed about, to be frank, seeing as I think the receiver and transmitter together cost about £80 at the merchants. No issues with it until it failed, however.

Unless paying the labour cost of running wires is an issue, or you really can't make up your mind where you want the thermostat to be and want to be able to move it, I'm not sure what the possible advantage is in a wireless device. But then I do generally prefer anything mechanical which shows its faults (if any) openly.

Salus and Tower are supposed to be crap, so steer clear. A lot can depend on your end user - some can’t do complicated.
Ya that's a big consideration. It's for my Dad's and he wont try to learn how to use it, couple that with the ever changing work schedules of the two people in the house means a basic 7 day programmer is out of the question.

I'm thinking something like Ember which seems to be all RF controls which is a shame as I've got a systemlex wiring centre for the systemzone manifold which is already in place

Reply to Radio frequency heating controls in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock