Discuss Radiator’s valve hammering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zzag

As you can see my heating system upgrade saga continues. Current problems is that valve on one of my rads (in the bathroom) is making what can be best described as ‘hammering’ sounds (10-15 sec apart) when it heats up and produces more of a loud ‘crackling’ sounds when cooling down. As far as I can tell the sound is produced in the top part of the valve where it connects to the pipe. This is one pipe system using Giacomini valves (pls also see attached picture) and it is the only valve that is doing it. (Well, there is another one that makes some noise but only once or twice which is tollarable.)

I would highly appreciate any suggestions what might be causing this and how it can be remedied.

Cheers!

Attachments

• new-rads.jpg
    new-rads.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 37
RE: flow and return reversed and valves one way only
>>>Thanks, Steve, but would not this render valve/rad non-operational? As it is now - valve is working (alas - with some noise), rad is heating up and other rads in the chain (this is one-pipe system) are also working. Any other possiblities?

it would still let water through. how does it compare to the other rad valves?

rad would still work,but because one way thats what happens ie vibrates,drain it down swop vavle to other side,or replace with two way trv

sounds like the valve is actually worn out, surely if the flow and return were switched other rads would be doing the same?

RE: flow and return reversed and valves one way only
>>>Thanks, Steve, but would not this render valve/rad non-operational? As it is now - valve is working (alas - with some noise), rad is heating up and other rads in the chain (this is one-pipe system) are also working. Any other possiblities?
just looked at the picture these valves are not reversable you can tell by the arrows on them to check direction start from cold and see which pipe gets hot first it should be the one with the arrow pointing up

just looked at the picture these valves are not reversable you can tell by the arrows on them to check direction start from cold and see which pipe gets hot first it should be the one with the arrow pointing up
I can double check tonight but I am pretty sure the valve is installed correctly as otherwise hot water would not reach other rads in the chain (one pipe system). I am also pretty sure that the noise is produced in the upper part of the valve - pls see attached picture. Provided that valve is facing the right way - what else could possibly cause the noise and how can it be remedied?

Attachments

• valve.JPG
    valve.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 19
I can double check tonight but I am pretty sure the valve is installed correctly as otherwise hot water would not reach other rads in the chain (one pipe system). I am also pretty sure that the noise is produced in the upper part of the valve - pls see attached picture. Provided that valve is facing the right way - what else could possibly cause the noise and how can it be remedied?
sorry from the first pic i assumed it was a thermostatic valve having seen the full set up i can honestly say i havent a clue what it is or does

Thanks Steve. What if we forget about this being one-pipe system with weird valves and only look at the fact that the pipe coming out from the top of the valve is making crackling noises as it expands when heated or shrinks cooling down (pls see circled section above) what would be the cause and remedy for this under normal circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator’s valve hammering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock