Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator valve question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks - newbie here! I wonder if I may ask for your advice please?

We had a "plumber" fit a couple of new designer radiators in our house recently. I use the word in quotes because he turned out to be a total idiot and ballsed up the installation. He did not attach the rads correctly (didn't read the installation instructions) so they wobble; he measured the pipework wrongly, meaning he had to re-do it AFTER the new wallpapering was done, and then he burned the newly painted skirting board and the wallpaper. Brilliant.

He ran away leaving one of the rads connected, but not filled, suggesting he'd come back to finish the job. I told him not to bother returning thanks. So I now have a plumbed in, but empty radiator. The rest of the system is working.

Here's my question: Do I need to fit PTFE tape between the rad valves and the radiator tails? There is no PTFE between value and radiator tails at the moment - which surprises me. Do I need to remove the rad and add some PTFE, or can I just open the valves and away I go?

Sorry if this is a numpty question but if it leaks then presumably I'll have to drain the whole system down, which would be a right pain in the ****.

Thanks

1. No need for PTFE tape if you have new tails and new valves with new olives.
2. Valve compression nut onto tail, olive onto tail, valve onto tail and do compression nut up. Firm finger tight then 1/2 turn should do it. If slight weep when full, tighten a bit more.
3. PTFE shouldn't be used on threads, except when the thread alone is making the water seal, for example when screwing the tails into the radiator.
4. It is OK to use it wrapped round the olive when making a compression joint where some of the fittings aren't new.
5. Given the experience level of the person who fitted the radiators, you might wish to check that:
5a. Whether they require flow and return to be attached to specific sides.
5b. And if they do so require, the connections are correct.

1. No need for PTFE tape if you have new tails and new valves with new olives.
2. Valve compression nut onto tail, olive onto tail, valve onto tail and do compression nut up. Firm finger tight then 1/2 turn should do it. If slight weep when full, tighten a bit more.
3. PTFE shouldn't be used on threads, except when the thread alone is making the water seal, for example when screwing the tails into the radiator.
4. It is OK to use it wrapped round the olive when making a compression joint where some of the fittings aren't new.
5. Given the experience level of the person who fitted the radiators, you might wish to check that:
5a. Whether they require flow and return to be attached to specific sides.
5b. And if they do so require, the connections are correct.
Thanks for your help here - very much appreciated indeed! The rads (there are 3 new ones actually) all needed "diverters"? fitting inside, but the guy who installed them said he didn't need to bother with them! I don't know what they are for, but at least the two rads that are fully plumbed, do seem to work OK.

So I am hoping this third rad will work OK as well without the diverter installed?

The most annoying thing is that these rads are a bit weird - designer things - and they are supposed to sit on a bottom bracket and then you're supposed to install the upper bracket with supplied bolts which you tighten with a spanner. He didn't bother with this, so the upper brackets are loose, you cannot tighten them - because he used screws and you cannot get at them - and the rads wobble and rattle. This guy was recommended to us and reckons he has 40 years of experience. I definitely feel I got O'Rreilly and not Stubbs however!

The diverter is a baffle that stops the water flowing in and out but makes it flow around your fancy new rads.
Really sounds like they want to come off to get the fixing sorted . Too much movement isn't good for the connections and pipework over the long run.
If they're just about acceptable why not wait till spring / summer and then take your time about rectifying them properly.
And perhaps try not to make unnecessary changes to the system in the winter next time, its all much easier.

Reply to Radiator valve question in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock