Search the forum,

Discuss Quotes and estimates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1

Do you break them down into labour and materials separately?

Ive just quoted for some work and customer has come back and questioned everything, how much is the boiler? How much for pipes and fitting etc? How much for labour over how many days etc?

Do you break them down into labour and materials separately?

Ive just quoted for some work and customer has come back and questioned everything, how much is the boiler? How much for pipes and fitting etc? How much for labour over how many days etc?

I just give the customer a price for the work, if I'm supplying all the gear, if they want a break down they'll have to pay me for an hours work to work it all out and then it'll be an estimate not quote, they'll start knocking 50p off the bill because you didn't use all the elbows you quoted for

Free estimates and free quotes breakdowns cost time which means chargeable.

They can take it or leave it.

i do a materials and labour split but dont list and price every item just total materials

For bathrooms I split the quote into labour snd materials. But a boiler change is one price. If they start querying it, just ask them to get other quotes using the same boiler.

Simple answer NO, they will be internet shoppers, Give them the option of doing all the running around and supplying materials , just give them a Labour only price, With the understanding that all that comes off the van are your tools & any faulty items is down to them to sort out, They have to supply everything down to the last screw & rawlplug & be there to run around in case you need anything

One price for all of it.
Once you start breaking it down is when they start quibbling & it's not worth the hassle.

I had one person I was quoting for a heating system installation - just last weekend.

I sent the quote through with the radiator sizes, boiler type, rad valves and other minor items required.

The bloke emailed me back and said they have purchased all the heating equipment from the supplier and it is ready at their place to be installed.

How much would I take off the quote?

I added up all the equipment he bought, deducted 20% from my buying price, and sent him through the 'revised quote'

He is not a happy camper, I would love to be the sales person he bought the equipment from.
It's been 4 days now and haven't heard a peep.

Add this policy to your quote when you send it:

materialspolicy.jpg

I will explain why I'm buying things and what they're for but my prices are my business if they don't like it then they can lump it. I'm reassuringly expensive

In the few instances where a cust has bought something after I have estimated. I give them a reduction at cost. I keep my overage, 30%, because I do.

As for breakdown, forget it. Free estimate and that's it, unless they want to pay for my time.

only give one price supplied and fitted I don't get asked often to breakdown when they do in my head I say to myself my profit margin is my business not yours.
to the customer as politely as I can but probably isn't to them
I say when you do your shopping at morrisons do you ask them how much it costs them to buy a tin of baked beans.
I did used to do bathroom refurbs where they supplied the bathroom gear but they were always told happy to fit but any problems and they sorted it.
but in reality this never happened or the job would never get finished but I always added an extra couple of hours on top and when I explained why there was no objections

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quotes and estimates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
I’m experimenting with the installation of a floating countertop / basin. At the top of the picture are the brackets I’m considering using. Below...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
I recently had a plumber come over to look at a badly leaking shower head. As best I can recall, he described the problem as a crack in the bridge...
Replies
Views
Hello hello,, Hoping there are some experts or experienced Bulgarian plumbing chaps in this site ?. Here in the UK I can fit a bathroom just with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock