Search the forum,

Discuss Quick guides to boiler and radiator sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have any rules of thumb for the sizing of radiators and boilers.

Dont like all the calculations. So if there is a way i can get by without all the U values and Heat loss calculations. If not, then i shall have to stick with them.

Thanks for all your knowledge.

Mutley

i would normally just measure each room in feet (length x height x width and multiply that by 5 to get the btu's) do that for each room to get the size of each radiator, then add them all up to get the size of boiler. to convert that to kw divide btu's by 3412 or 3142 cant be to sure on that one. well thats what i do anyway. and add about 3 kw for heating of cylinder

Yes the rule of thumb Boyler suggests is well known. But if you want to be a bit more scientific "Google" Stelrad "Stars" and download their sizing program. Its nice and easy to use, no maths either and you can muck about with different rad sizes.

Good fun. I have used it for sizing and it works great Its Free by the way.

Big room, big radiator :)

Get yourself a Mears calculator and work out a full house in under 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As well as using Sterad Stars, you should use the Boiler Size Calculator to check that your calculations are correct.

Don't forget that, if you over-size your radiators, you will be able to run at lower temperatures, which saves fuel. For example, if you run with a flow temperature of 75C and return temp of 55C, you will need to oversize your rads by 20%; and if you run at 65C/55C, you will have to oversize rads by35%. This does not affect the size of boiler.

If you are installing a combi boiler, the boiler size is determined by the hot water requirements. But it's worth checking that the heating requirement is not below the lower modulation limit of the proposed boiler. Ideally the lower limit should be well below the calculated heating requirement as it means the boiler will be able to modulate down when the outside temperature is higher.

If you don't want to go to the bother of using Stelrad Stars, find the boiler size using the boiler calculator. Then divide this between the rooms based on floor area. If you want to you can give more to the ground floor rooms as they tend to need a higher temperature than the bedrooms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick guides to boiler and radiator sizing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock