Discuss Query concerning water flow rates in PVC pipes of differing diameters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BruceB

Hi all. We have a private estate of six house lots (only 4 houses built at present). There is a council water supply pipe of 20mm with council meter. Previously that then connected to a single 50mm pvc pipe that ran 50metres to four individual holding tanks. Individual owners then pump water from their own holding tank to their house. Each water bill was split six equal ways by the Council.

Water charges have rocketed upwards and we wanted to bring in a fairer system of water billing, measured by six individual meters mounted beside the Council meter. We replaced the single 50mm line with six 25mm pvc lines, each running direct to the respective holding tank. Two of those new lines were capped, ready to be connected to proposed new tanks when the further two houses are built). The pipe diameters used were approved by the Council and agreed to by the professinal plumber we used to do the work.

Just weeks later we have some owners hopping mad saying that their pumps are working at a fraction of their capacity, their holding tanks are running dry (and the sky is falling!) because they say the 25mm lines are too small to cope. We have some real armchair experts here, talking about friction in the pipes and so on. So we have 4x25mm instead of 1x50mm, double the capacity. Even allowing for greater friction in the smaller pipes, should this change really have made that much difference to pumping performance? All comments/feedback much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
The total cross sectional area of 4 25mm pipes is the same as 1 50mm so when you take into account the frictional losses the carrying capacity will be less. There will also be a loss of capacity through each individual meter. You then have to take into account the fact that it is unlikely that all 4 properties were drawing water at the same time so it is entirely possible that at any one time an individual property was receiving the full capacity of the 50mm pipe.

How big are the holding tanks?

Good question. Can't tell you off the top of my head. I would estimate 2m tall x 3m+ diameter. I will try to find out and report back. In the meantime I'll see what is involved in uploading a pic here

Thanks for that input Mike. Can I clarify that you are saying that the change in the pipes (& meters) could in fact have a substantial impact on the ability of the pumps to draw water as suggested by a couple of the owners?

you havent mentioned lenghth of the runs which will also increase frictional losses is it the furthest house that are loosing their supplies
there must be a reason you had holding tanks fitted i suspect this was due to to low flow rate from the existing main can you not get additional mains in from the water authorities ?

another thought has anyone checked the flow rates into each tankive had plastic pipe that was semi blocked before another thought has any one checked the ballvalves haven got debris partially blocking them it easy to get a bit of mud or gravel in the pipe work, im assuming the tanks have ballvalves with the meters fitted flow rates will be an easy check to do first

you havent mentioned lenghth of the runs which will also increase frictional losses is it the furthest house that are loosing their supplies
there must be a reason you had holding tanks fitted i suspect this was due to to low flow rate from the existing main can you not get additional mains in from the water authorities ?

Hi Steve. From the holding tanks to the pumps and from the pumps to the houses is flexible 50mm hose. The runs are extremely long - I don't have a measurement. Two of the furthest houses have additional holding tanks at around the half way mark. We could possibly get an additional main from the Council but no problems have been raised prior to the change with the meters. I should also mention that all four houses have substantial rainwater tanks and the mains water just supplements these.

another thought has anyone checked the flow rates into each tankive had plastic pipe that was semi blocked before another thought has any one checked the ballvalves haven got debris partially blocking them it easy to get a bit of mud or gravel in the pipe work, im assuming the tanks have ballvalves with the meters fitted flow rates will be an easy check to do first

I have given the feedback from the owners to the plumber that did the work, and that was his suggestion to us. He is adamant that pipe diameter is not the issue. I don't think any of the owners have had their own plumbers out to look things over, and are focussng just on the pipe diameter issue thus far.

View attachment 9696 Three PVC holding tanks service three of the houses. The fourth house has three concrete water tanks of slightly larger capacity, one of which is visible in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Query concerning water flow rates in PVC pipes of differing diameters in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock