Search the forum,

Discuss Qualifications related thread only! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

x DwelleR

Hi there, I'm new to this plumbing forum and I need some help! Some advice or suggestions would be great!

Basically, I don't have gcse's because when I was in year 9, my family decided to immigrate to another country for life, things were going good and so was my dads business. After 1 year and 6 months we came back from there because of family issues! I never gave a living crap about my life until the day I woke up and realised how important education and jobs are! :uhoh2:...

When we came back to the uk, I went back to secondary school and they put me in year 10 when I was supposed to be in year 11 clearly because I missed a hell load of education! I got kicked out of school after a month or so for joining Facebook group regarding some teacher, then I went to a place called Manchester pupil support centre where spoilt kids go :sad:... I then went to a place called Rathbone and was studying motor mechanics which was boring and honestly speaking it was a waste of time! After a year of wasting time, sitting at home I decided to do something in life, I never liked any course whatsoever and I really needed help, my family told me to do plumbing and I didn't agree at first and I never had basic qualifications to get onto that course! So the college offered me a bricklaying course to get basic qualifications: Entry level 3 Maths and English! After a year of boring brickwork, finally I had basic qualifications to enroll onto level 1 plumbing! I didn't enjoy plumbing at first, but a few weeks later I finally enjoyed something in life, plumbing was fun, meeting new people, the practical bit was the best, theory was ok. I passed all my plumbing practical and theory assessment/exams. I used to do level 1 Maths and English once a week which I passed as well. On the last week we had to do an initial assessment, I think that's what its called.. It was some basic maths questions like number sequences, clock times, maths type of questions and some plumbing related questions, the majority of the questions were easy, quite a few were hard for me like the radius of a circle and what not, I was confused as I've missed sheer education and guessed some questions too. I was confident enough to pass the test, but the next week was our final week of college which all of the class students went to find out if we have passed and are capable to enroll onto level 2. I got 50 something % which was too low and the official pass mark was 80%, the college took it down to 70%, clearly I had failed and because of that, I was worried the fact I can't enroll onto level 2 plumbing! My tutor suggested I get an apprenticeship so I can learn more and easily get a job. I asked what if I apply at a different college? My tutor told me you will have to take the same test you failed. So they said best thing to do is get an apprenticeship! I was wondering should I look for an apprenticeship and take evening classes for Maths and English and do my Gcse's? I have heard some colleges do them and you can resit Gcse's at any age! Also, I'm 19 so will I have to pay? I don't have a job :sad: Sorry for the huge spam, I'm a little worried you see, I don't want to do another course because plumbing is what I enjoy and I want plumbing as my career for the rest of my life!

I think you're going to have a hard time, but people DO respect a good attitude.
Unfortunately, you will need to pass the maths I think. Everyone knows some people just find it particularly hard to get through, rather than being , for the want of a better word, "thick". You obviously aren't thick, or you wouldn't have been able to string together the post you just made, AND got most of the spelling right! Apprenticeships are incredibly hard to get because it means an employer investing a load of time and money in you, without knowing much about you except your results so far, which aren't ideal.
As you're unemployed, go and do free helping for a plumber, or free simple plumbing for anyone who will let you, and take pictures. Tap washers, garden taps, kitchen sinks, anything is 1000000% better than nothing.
Keep redoing it until you pass - get some mates to help if you find stuff won't "go in". Once done, it's done. It's worth it!
Surely there are free classes in maths if you're unemployed? If not, the country's in a worse state than I thought....
Have another go at the college to see if they'll let you resit it?

you will need to pay for your course, it will properly be ÂŁ300, for level 2 plus anything the colleges charges for whatever. Make sure you do the course before your 24 as than you will have to pay around ÂŁ4000 for the course i think as the government stops paying.
I would have thought you could resit your exams.
It is very hard to get an apprenticeship, I have just done my level 2 and going onto level 3 in 2014. On the course that I did, there was a total of 40 people and only 3 of them had an apprenticeship! I asked them how they had got it and they all got it from a family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Qualifications related thread only! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My name is Chanel i’m 19 years old i’ve just finished my level 2 plumbing course and i’m looking for an apprenticeship or someone who could take me out a couple days of the week to help me get more experience. I did 1 week of work experience at equans doing maintenance but i wouldn’t mind...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I'm sniffing around what to expect of getting a job in plumbing. My job makes me redundant at the end of September. The whole warehouse moves to the Midlands from Bridgewater. Meanwhile I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in plumbing. The goal of the course is Renewable Energy Engineer. I'll...
Replies
Views
E
Hello All, I`m currently on my level two plumbing course at college and I`m looking for some part time work if anyone could offer me some advice. I`ve been trying to get on an apprenticeship but I`ve had no joy so far, so I`m hoping to gain some experience by working alongside an experienced...
Replies
Views
Ellis J
E
Hi, A little about the business: I currently own a plumbing business (website and marketing) - looking to target residential and commercial market (i.e. tendering to main contractors flats etc). My background is a commercial manager, I use to do plumbing years back so technically I would not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock