Search the forum,

Discuss Putting ball valve in feed pipe from tank on an open vented system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ringi

While I have my system drained down I am thinking of putting a full bore ball value in the feed pipe from the tank.

This would make it easy to sort out any future problems, as it will be easy to just turn it off and cap the feed pipe to sort out most single joint issues.

Am I thinking along the right lines?

Why is this not done as part of a standard system?

It's a saftey issue if you do this

I would NOT reccomend doing this

Only consider this if there is a separate 22 mm or larger vent pipe ( the usual situation ). I have seen systems where the feed also functioned as the expansion, very bad practice, so if you valve one of these up and accidentally close it you have made a bomb

There is a separate 22 mm vent pipe! Having tanks that can freeze in my loft is bad enough, yet alone a bomb.

:yes: tends not to be the tanks it is usually pipes on dead legs etc. Also as the temperature drops watch out for dripping overflow caused by ballcocks letting by. If the drip and wind chill work together you will either have a spectacular icicle or a blocked pipe and the soggy ceiling. I always fit a full bore lever valve on the rising main to the loft as this is quicker than getting the loft ladder down in an emergency and easier for customers as gate valves tend to be stiff and after a few years ineffective

Back to basics gentlemen, the pipe from the bottom of the tank is the feed & expansion pipe, do that under normal operation the heated/expanded water goes up the pipe where it is accommodated in the tank, therefore do not put any valve on the pipe which if closed will cause the system to malfunction
PS I will add the next bit cause if I don't someone will say the water will go up the cent pipe as that's what it's for
The vent pipe is to allow excessively heated water to escape into the tank safely and quickly, ( so its only used under fault conditions) not as part of the normal design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yes: tends not to be the tanks it is usually pipes on dead legs etc. Also as the temperature drops watch out for dripping overflow caused by ballcocks letting by. If the drip and wind chill work together you will either have a spectacular icicle or a blocked pipe and the soggy ceiling. I always fit a full bore lever valve on the rising main to the loft as this is quicker than getting the loft ladder down in an emergency and easier for customers as gate valves tend to be stiff and after a few years ineffective

I have insulated all the pipes well and they are under the loft insulation apart from the hot water tank and the header tanks that are high up in the loft, so don’t even get heat from the ceiling below. I have put as much insulation on them as I can.

I like the ideal of a full bore lever valve on the rising main!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Putting ball valve in feed pipe from tank on an open vented system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, We have an open vented heating system and a Worcester Bosch greenstar boiler. Recently there is little to no heat getting to all radiatiors. It seems that when we turn on the nest heating the boiler starts whirring as expected as then dies down quite fast. I cleaned the magna filter...
Replies
Views
I am told I need to replace my boiler. I am considering a system boiler so I can lose the tank in the loft and feed it direct from the mains water. My rads are fed by 10mm plastic pipe. Is there much of a pressure increase with a system boiler and will the plastic pipe joints (e.g. John Guest...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock