Search the forum,

Discuss Pumped hot and cold water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just fitted a stuart turner monsoon 1.5 bar twin pump in a friends house. Couldn't get a surry flange at the time so just came straight off the top of the cylinder with the vent and hot feed to pump. The hot and cold outlets downstairs are fine but its the shower and basin upstairs that doesn't switch the pump on when outlets are turned on. Here is the system set up - The property used to be a bungalow and had a loft conversion about 15 years ago so the cold water storage tank and f & e tank went up into the loft space. The cylinder was and still is in a cupboard downstairs and that where the pump also is. the cold on the basin and shower are fine. its just the hot wont switch the pump on.
It seems as if the pump isn't getting enough water flow to switch on but its working fine on the downstairs outlets

Any ideas what it could be ??

where is the pump situated in relation to the hot cylinder

Your shower head is probably close to, or above the level of water in the cold water storage tank in the loft.
most manufacturers will supply you with an aftermarket negative head switch.
this can normally be fitted in the shower ( air switch) but needs line to be run to the pump.

Hi all. What a complete dick I am. Customer had told me tanks was in the loft. It is yes. The F + E one. The 50 gallon cold water tank is in a void on the 1st floor level. Below the level of the taps and shower valve. No wonder it doesn't work. Now that explains why the existing broken pump had a pull switch in the bathroom to switch the pump on. Not really a problem because the pump that i fitted was one that i took out of a job and he had the pump and the work for free as he is a good friend. Maybe he will go buy a negative head pump now.
Thanks for all the quick replies though guys.

Note to self. Always check things. don't take it for granted from the customer !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pumped hot and cold water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock