Search the forum,

Discuss Pump problems in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,
I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but repeatedly turns on and off rapidly. It’s very annoying! It has an automatic press control and a pressure tank fitted to the pump. Could it be air in the system? Though I thought this would work itself out. Could it be the press control is faulty? The pressure tank was replaced not that long ago and it is pressurised (bicycle pump). I’m not sure how old the pump is but it was taken for servicing/ repair at one point not too long ago and we were told it was OK. There is a cistern at the top of the house which fills with mains water. Could it be a blockage in the short distance from cistern to the pump? Sorry I don’t know the make and model of the pump as I’m not at the house now.

Any suggestions most welcome, cheers!

James

it looks like a problem with the flow switch, what make/model of pump?
Hi John, thanks for the reply. It's at my mother's house, I'll be back there in about a week so I can get the make and model of the pump. By flow switch do you mean pressure control switch or pressure controller? This is what I thought was most likely faulty myself, it's what I meant by automatic press control in my original post. ;)

If its the type of pump I think it may be ( a Stuart Turner Universal or some other equivalent make), these are basically two pumps on the one shaft, if either a hot or cold tap is opened, the pump will start (via pressure switch) but one of the two flow switches on the pump (one for hot, the other for cold) will keep the pump running as long as the flow from either side is ~ 2 LPM, once the hot and/or cold flow falls below this then the pump will stop, if you just cracked open a hot or cold tap to give a tiny flow then the pump will just start/stop on the pressure switch but this is not your problem. Anyhow have a look at the pump and post back.

If its the type of pump I think it may be ( a Stuart Turner Universal or some other equivalent make), these are basically two pumps on the one shaft, if either a hot or cold tap is opened, the pump will start (via pressure switch) but one of the two flow switches on the pump (one for hot, the other for cold) will keep the pump running as long as the flow from either side is ~ 2 LPM, once the hot and/or cold flow falls below this then the pump will stop, if you just cracked open a hot or cold tap to give a tiny flow then the pump will just start/stop on the pressure switch but this is not your problem. Anyhow have a look at the pump and post back.
Hello chaps,

Back at my mum's house this weekend... Yes if it was a tiny flow then the pump would start and stop continuously but it does it all the time, flushing the toilet, running the sink tap even the shower/ bath (pressure is strong). The pump is a Grundfos and what I think is the automatic pressure control switch says Square D 9013 (made in Italy). Cheers.
420654381_777869140913457_8315591274481236124_n.jpg
421723061_1051594965910262_8872338751590127386_n.jpg
429560718_1143462993731619_8018464417076748766_n.jpg

On a well system?

There's a storage tank cistern that fills up from the mains. The pump is to provide pressure around the house (3 floors).

Have you checked the pressure tank charge is correct this will cause the pump to cycle more if low demand etc

Should be .2 bar lower than max pressure set

Hi Shaun,

How do I know what the "max pressure set" is? There is a pressure meter on the pump showing 2 bar (can be seen in photos above).

Cheers

Turn the pump off elec wise and open a cold tap wait for the water to stop

Then get a pressure guage and there should be a shrader valve on the pressure tank read the pressure should be 1.8 bar if the pump is set to turn off at 2 bar etc

Reply to Pump problems in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock