Currently reading:
Proximity of flue

Discuss Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Polly

The property next door to me has recently been renovated, and now has a condenser boiler flue on the wall which runs parallel with the path to my house.
There is a small gap between the properties, so the flue does not actually overhang the boundary. The path is the only access I have to my property. The measurements involved are:
Flue protrudes approx 14cm from wall
The wall to the boundary 42 cm
Therefore the end of the flue is 32cm from the boundary.
The flue is positioned 2.1m high.

The path is 1.3m wide.

Note, the path is owned by the house adjacent to me on the other side. The neighbour with the flue also has a right of way to access the rear of their property but they have a door at the front.

I have been concerned about this since the flue was installed, and hoped that it would not be passed by the building inspector, as it seems to breach the regulations I have seen and contravene EPA

However, I learned the other week that the extension has been approved and the project now complete. The Building inspector advised that the boundary can be taken from any point (ie the middle or far side(ie furthest side away from the wall) of the path) – this sounds completely nonsensical, and would seem to amount to a ‘flexible boundary’.

I find the exposed flue an eyesore, and I am concerned about noise and plumes of steam when the boiler is in use. The extension itself was considered by the planning committee to be overbearing on my property, but not significant enough to refuse planning permission: so to site the flue in such close proximity seems harsh, and at odds with the guidance.

I noticed steam/vapour pouring out of the flue yesterday, which at times filled the path space; I fear this will only get worse as the weather gets colder.

I am also concerned about the proximity of the cloak room & kitchen extractors along the extension wall, but I am finding regulations on these harder to find.

I've approached the institute of gas managers & engineers, gas safe, but can't
Seem to find anyone who seems to enforce the regulations.

I would be very grateful if anyone could provide any advise or suggestions.

Thanks! Polly

It is owned by neighbour on other side. Not shared or common ground, only easement rights down it. Does that change things?

If your neighbour owns the land then it sounds like legally there is nothing wrong with it. I suggest you speak to them and see if they will fit a plume kit.

It sits in the middle of a bare brick wall, apart from the builders sign which the owners do not seem to want to take down. They might be leaving it up just to upset me , but as its temporary & not permanent, I don't care

Last edited by a moderator:
Polly, dearest Polly, you've come on here for some advice and you've had it, loads of it. Yet you still seem to know best or seem to be on a mission to get these poor people to move their boiler because for 10 minutes a day you can see the plume and in some unfathomable way its having a negative affect on your life.

Its not dangerous.
Its been installed to MI.
Building control are satisfied with it.
Gas Safe have no interest in it what so ever.

Please, for your own sake, give it a rest you'll make yourself ill.

Im afraid my post on this thread was deleted by croppie

suffice it to say it was witty and amusing

I'm closing this thread now.

Somewhat disappointed in some of the posts on here.

Rightly or wrongly Polly had a concern and a genuine question which was answered early on.

I would remind you all we have a strict 'Be Nice' policy. In future when an OP asks a question you deem to be 'too fussy' or 'curtain twitching' then, unless you feel you can be nice, don't answer.

I don't like jumping on you any more than you like me doing it but as I said earlier, I will not have the UKPF getting the same reputation as other forums.

I'm drawing a line under this subject now. Please don't do it again.

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Proximity of flue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back