Search the forum,

Discuss Promax in cellar. Combi wanted in airing cuoboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I know a post like this can be pointless as without seeing the job its hard to say a price.

Ive had a customer call me, he has the boiler, vertical flue and hive controls.

He wants a vaillant 835 combi in the airing cupboard on the top floor. Current boiler is in the cellar and so is the gas meter.

Non of the gas pipe is currently in copper apart from a section for the boiler. Cooker is on the bottom level of the property by the cellar. The old gas pipe tees off at a couple of different points but no other appliances so must be capped at various points. I've said I'd be upgrading the gas pipe and running it in copper. It's a long run, 3m minimum just to get out the cellar I'd say minimum 12m.

He has a roofer who will help with the flue I'll be making all connections in the loft.

Also 14 old rads needing new valves. I reckon 3 days work.

Trying to get me to commit to a price, nice enough but an old bloke who used to manage sites "so I have a good idea how long things should take". I think I'm going to say a day rate and it takes as long as it takes. I can't see a fairer way. How would you approach it?

Any services in the airing cupboard?

I wouldn't do day rate, he will be on your back all of the time.
If you reckon 3 days - quote for four.
Make a material list of all the materials you think you need and make an allowance for what you forget or might need.

This guy sounds like he wants a set price - so give him that.
He will argue with any extras you put on the invoice - saying that he had you quote the complete installation.

Jobs like this can be good earners, but they can also be the reverse.
Whatever you allow for labour, add 25%
Whatever you allow for materials, add 25%.
Then put you margins on top of that.

If you lose the job it, you lose it.
If you win the job, hopefully you make some money.

We all have a idea of how long these jobs take I would allow 6- 7 days labour list the materials x 30%. Dont forget making good , system cleaning , flushing that can easily take a full day commisioning can be 1/2 A day then you have boiler registration with gas safe and boiler warranty. Kop

Reply to Promax in cellar. Combi wanted in airing cuoboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long story short, our boiler has been replaced with a combi and the loft and airing cupboard are now devoid of tanks and pipework, except.... ... this old flue pipe, which was once connected to the original boiler when our home was built in the mid-80s. It runs from a vent on the roofline...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m hoping for some perceptive / input as I’m a long-distance landlord trying to unpick the best thing to do. Gas safety certificate was done on my rental flat (1st floor) which has a 10 year old Aviston E-combi EVO boiler. It failed based on rusting external flu components, which has...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock